This is my first post here, but far from my first visit (GREAT site

#1 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• madam_butte-
    rfly

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010
    Location Norway

Seems like I deleted my own post.... I'll try again...
    Hi everybody,
    This is my first post here, but far from my first visit (GREAT site

#2 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 22:00

• madam_butte-
    rfly

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010
    Location Norway

what?? I don't understand this... Last try, promise!
    Hi everybody,
    This is my first post here, but far from my first visit (GREAT site).
    After a horrible vacation on the canary islands two weeks ago (I know, I know.... but I'm a new mum, and the thought of a hot place with no bugs and no scary dengue for my baby somehow got to me..) I've already started planning my next vacation, though. Have almost decided on Thailand (no malaria... good hospitals.... GOD, I sound like my mum:(... Have been reading a lot online, and Koh Chang or Ko lanta seems to be two good choices (have been to Lanta before and really liked it, but that's 10 years ago, so I reckon it's changed quite a bit since then... ) My kid will be 1 1/2 years old next winter, and that seems like a good time to go. Now.. just a few questions:
    1) There seems to be a good international clinic on chang, how is the hospital/clinics at lanta?
    2) Is there malaria in the beach areas on chang?
    3) which beach would you recommend us to stay at? I'd like a couple of restaurants/beach bars around, since the baby will make it impossible for us to rent motorbikes to get around, but not something too busy/noisy
    4) Would you stay at an AC- or fan bungalow with a 1 1/2 year old, and why?
    5) Can you recommend a hotel that has nice, spacious bungalows, a pool and a good, cheap thai-food restaurant, preferably for less than 2500 B a night? And... as stated in question no 3, not too isolated:)

Thanks a lot!

#3 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 22:04

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hello Madam,

Where you go could depend on when you go. Check the weather maps before you make your final decision.

With Chang you are going to be less than a day-long trip from Bangkok, whereas Lanta will require quite a bit more travel time, unless you fly to Krabi. This also means that you'll be less than a day-long trip back to Bangkok when it's time to go. So, with regards to distances and travel times, Chang has an advantage.

Chang is known, kind of, as a malarial area in part because of it's proximity to Cambodia, where malaria is still quite common. Lanta and surrounding areas are not considered to be risky.

Lanta has definitely changed over the last 10 years. Few places most people would visit haven't. Chang, however, has more than just changed. It's been completely transformed. Good for some, bad for others. I'm on the side of the latter. Personally, I'd go to another island like Koh Mak or Koh Wai. Either of those places will fall nicely into your budget, and you'll find them neither too quiet nor too busy. Well, you might find Koh Wai a little quiet. You might want to consider Koh Kut, as well.

If you head south, you might want to try another island near Lanta, like Koh Jum. Jum is an excellent island with a terrific, wide, long beach that would probably be good for kids (though I can't say this from experience as I don't have kids.)

Lykke til og ha det bra.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 22:56

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I have been to Thailand with my then baby (she was 7mths then). We stayed on the coast rather than on an island. Mainly because of the longtail boat/no lifejackets for small toddlers issue. Once you get to Lanta or Chang you should be fine, but it would be the boat trip with a wriggly toddler that would concern me. The idea of less travel time with the wriggly toddler is most appealing. We ended up going to Khao Lak (flying to Phuket then just an hour up the coast. It was relatively quiet, but had everything we wanted. And no boat ride.

#5 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 11:04

• joelietz

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010

This is a great site! I'm planning on traveling to Thailand in April and I'm really looking forward to it! Those islands of Koh Mak and Koh Wai sound like good bets and I think I will looking into going to one of those places. I didn't know that malaria was an issue at all in Thailand so that's good to know. I'll definitely take that into consideration before I go! Thanks for all your info!

[url=http://www.essentravel.com/]aurora hotels[/url]

#6 Posted: 5/2/2010 - 07:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Railay or Lanta in May with a toddler - where to stay? ... By ruth678 on 17 Mar 2010 1 1944 18 Mar 2010
Thailand in-country travel advice for two weeks with toddler in Bangkok,Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta ... By daphnehk on 16 Feb 2010 4 4263 17 Feb 2010