Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in 18 days?

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Fly into BKK on 5th, staying a night there and then thinking of heading straight upto Chiang Mai, spend a couple of days there and then fancy going tubing in Laos,

1) Whats the best way to get to Laos (also is it Vang Vieng where you can go tubing?) after which we want to spend majority of our time in Vietnam, It should be just over 10 days that we have to go to vietnam so I would really appreciate some thought as to the best way to see Vietnam and probably the quickest transport routes?

Need to fly out of Bangkok on the 21st of Feb so would appreciate any advice going?

#1 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 12:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you want to go tubing and go to Chiang Mai then I'd suggest doing something like: Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Chiang Khong -> boat down the river to Luang Prabang -> Vang Vieng (tube central) -> Vientiane -> fly to Hanoi

Realisticly you'd need at least 8-9 days to do the above, though two weeks would be better.

The remainder I'd spend in the north of Vietnam -- Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sapa then grab a cheap flight back to Bangkok for exit.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 13:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Is there some reason why you want to race around southeast asia in rapid fashion? I mean, if you only have 18 days, then why not stick to Bangkok and it's environs? 18 days is nothing.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 14:29

• chriswotton

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 50

Agree with Madmac - please, for goodness' sake if you can, give yourself more time or try to see a little less this time round and then go back for more when you can. I fear you'll regret it otherwise - to try and do three countries in 18 days is unrealistic, even if you're not expecting to see everything they have to offer.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 18:28

• npar2696

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Cheers for that admin, I think I will take your advise and follow that iterinary.

Also given 18 days is nothing, I am unable to get more time off from work and hence would like to do as much as possible. Hence, Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Luang prabang - Hanoi should be fine I believe.

One last question.

How long do buses/trains/boats take from Vientiane to Hanoi? Thanks

#5 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 13:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

npar2696: Overland from Vientiane to Hanoi takes the best part of a day and a half last I heard.

#6 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 2069 5 Jun 2013
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5590 14 Apr 2010
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4404 20 Mar 2011
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1990 2 Oct 2012