Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bugs in your room

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Hi,

I am just wondering with the cheaper backpacker beach bungalow/hut type accommodation in and around SEA, what is the bug situation like? Do you get bugs come in the rooms loads, i read somewhere they can drop down from the thatched roofs and i have a massive phobia of pretty much anything with more than 4 legs so serious replies on this, would be appreciated.

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:32

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's Southeast Asia ... there are insects everywhere!

Yes, they can drop down from the thatch, but if you've got a good mosquito net in your bungalow, and it's tucked into your mattress, then you won't have to worry about them.

In the evenings many are attracted by the ubiquitous flourescent lights that seem to be the lighting method of choice in that part of the world. If you have a problem with them, then make sure you've got screens without rips on your windows, and doors that close tightly. Many attached bathrooms have wall-openings that don't have screens. If this is the case, then keep your bathroom door closed.

Also, you might want to buy mosquito coils to burn in your room/bungalow before you knock off for the night.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:50

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

i know i know, but you can't help a phobia can you! I've not really had any scarey bug experiences in SEA so far, apart from a big spider in our rafting boat by my foot, and i practically jumped on the Jap behind me ha ha - good times. But i've only ever stayed in like mid range hotels so thats what prompted my question really. Thanks for your advice about the coil, will invest in some of those once we arrive and also good points about the screens. I'm not majorly worrying just good to be prepared!

Cheers

Oh and blimey this thread had 17 views in about 2 minutes this is a busy forum!

#3 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 03:57

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

The main wildlife in the cheap beach huts I stay in are gheckos and frogs (and the occasional snake looking to eat the frogs). The mosquito net is also very useful for stopping ghecko **** dropping onto the bed too!

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 06:38

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

If you stay in cheap places with A/C you will get fewer mosquitoes and other bugs because the windows are shut tight. Maybe the cold air keeps some away too! Even with screens on windows in fan only rooms those little buggers can come in. Not to mention the things that slip under the door.

Geckos are good luck and eat other bugs so don't scare them away or harm them. They are doing you a favor by eating the things you don't want in your room!

What I don't like is cockroaches, everything else I can deal with. If your room is over or next to a restaurant you may get more cockroaches. Check your bags before you go home so you don't transplant some of those critters to your home.

Some hotels have spray bombs you can use.

Have a bug free trip.

#5 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 10:34

• Kennyd

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2005
    Total reviews: 10

Has anyone ever tried any of the plant repellents mentioned in the below link? I'm wondering if it's worth bothering to try.

http://snippets.com/what-are-some-plants-that-repel-roaches-and-other-insects.htm

#6 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 19:17

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

SBE - Gheckos are fine, used to them already, frogs are a bit terrifying, and SNAKES, what type of bloody snakes lol??

Sirhalberd - i'd never harm a gecko, they're alright they can stay!

i am definitely gonna invest in some sort of bug repelling spray, i think if you don't like bugs anythings worth a go!!

#7 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 02:18

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

For beach huts do we need to bring our own mosquito nets or will there be one in the room?

#8 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 05:55

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Most, probably almost all have nets in the room. Check for holes though.

Geckos dont bother me at all, which is odd because when I was younger they terrified me. But as they dont come anywhere near you, and eat bugs, they're cool

Cockroaches is what I hate, because they just dont care where they go, they will crawl on the bed, and Im not even sure a mosquito net would keep them out :(

I would think snakes are very unlikely but certainly not impossible. I didnt see any spiders anywhere when I was away

#9 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 07:39

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Geckos are pretty good.Can just sit for a while and watch them catching bugs etc.Thais,for some reason,don't like the bigger ones called Toukay.I'm told that you have to be very careful regarding the droppings of Geckos as it can bring on all sorts of stomach troubles.But I guess that goes for any sort of droppings.

#10 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 13:37

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Just pull their legs off 'til there's only four!!!!

Chinchoc - small geckos are good as they eat insects.

#11 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 17:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hate to say it, these bugs won't just be in the thatch bungalows. On a trip to Cambodia last year, we found (on two different occasions) centipedes (or millipedes?) with nasty-looking pinchers on the 4th floor of a big hotel in Siem Reap!

You can also carry a can of bug spray with you - although it's not good to spray if there are geckos in the room.

#12 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 21:00

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Good point Lizzy, those big centipedes can inflict a VERY painful bite so if there's one in your room try and get rid of it ASAP.

Spiders, ah yes, you do see some interesting spiders sometimes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/3449883756/in/set-72157622270227644/

#13 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 07:22

• Seba

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2009

during our 2-month travel through Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia we didn't get any big bugs in our room and we were on a budget... the thing is it will be difficult to dodge them in open air though, saw 2 huge spiders (the big yellow one in the jungle, and huge Huntsman spiders in a cave in Khao sok), some snakes (including King's Cobra on Phi Phi), and various huge beatles/bugs

#14 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 18:22

• Seba

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2009

having only travelled during the cool season (October-December), can anyone confirm that there are much more bugs/spiders/snakes during rainy season (July-September) and during summer (March-April)?

#15 Posted: 10/1/2010 - 18:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.