Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Self Drive Suvarnabhumi to Kanchanaburi

• ano_1

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hi,

Can I please get some opinions on the feasability of picking up a car at Suvarnabmi Airport and driving to Kanchanaburi . I have previously driven in Thailand but not in any area that would be akin to Bangkok! I have to move 5 people from Suvarnabumi to Kanchanaburi and then when in Kanchanaburi intend renting a car to get about. If driving from airport to Kanchanaburi is doable, seems easier option than bussing it. Your thoughts most welcome

Ano
    Australia

#1 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 05:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes you can do it -- and via the spagetti of Bangkok's expressways you'll rarely be at ground level, if at all, till you're over in Thonburi.

Not sure if you'd be able to get a one way hire though -- another option would be to get a taxi for the run.

#2 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 08:16

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

As you've driven in Thailand before, i'd say it's entirely possible.

BUT

You don't need to get involved in Bkk's spaghetti express-ways at all......

From the Airport exit to route 34 (not 7) get onto ROUTE 9 - the motorway ring road - there is a huge bridge across the river.
    Once on the other side you will need to look for 338 or 323 off toward Kanchanaburi - (the signing is not that clear and neither are the road numbers)

and that's it!

Well..... nearly it! - the bridge is new and the junction onto the bridge is a maze of roadworks with hand-painted signs in Thai.
    The last time I went over the bridge, I had to approach from route 3 that runs underneath route 34 from the airport.
    you might try getting onto the ( from motorway 7 on the other side of the airport)

If you get it right you'll say at least 30 minutes (in traffic up to hours) on journey time, if you get it wrong you'll just end up working your way through the expressways of Bkk - good luck!

Google the map to see the trip is really is a lot easier than I make it sound!

#3 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 10:30

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

it's ultra-clear on Google earth!

#4 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 10:36

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

and maps

#5 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 10:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
suvarnabhumi to kanchanaburi ... By dolicadol on 20 Oct 2013 6 682 21 Oct 2013
Train from Kanchanaburi all the way to Suvarnabhumi Airport? ... By manna on 4 Oct 2007 7 3616 10 Oct 2007
Suvarnabhumi Airport to River Kwai (Kanchanaburi) ... By GandY on 21 May 2011 11 6336 24 May 2011