Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Self Drive Suvarnabhumi to Kanchanaburi

Posted by ano_1 on 8/1/2010 at 05:49

Hi,

Can I please get some opinions on the feasability of picking up a car at Suvarnabmi Airport and driving to Kanchanaburi . I have previously driven in Thailand but not in any area that would be akin to Bangkok! I have to move 5 people from Suvarnabumi to Kanchanaburi and then when in Kanchanaburi intend renting a car to get about. If driving from airport to Kanchanaburi is doable, seems easier option than bussing it. Your thoughts most welcome

Ano
Australia

#1 ano_1 has been a member since 9/9/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/1/2010 at 08:16 admin

Yes you can do it -- and via the spagetti of Bangkok's expressways you'll rarely be at ground level, if at all, till you're over in Thonburi.

Not sure if you'd be able to get a one way hire though -- another option would be to get a taxi for the run.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by khunwilko on 9/1/2010 at 10:30

As you've driven in Thailand before, i'd say it's entirely possible.

BUT

You don't need to get involved in Bkk's spaghetti express-ways at all......

From the Airport exit to route 34 (not 7) get onto ROUTE 9 - the motorway ring road - there is a huge bridge across the river.
Once on the other side you will need to look for 338 or 323 off toward Kanchanaburi - (the signing is not that clear and neither are the road numbers)

and that's it!

Well..... nearly it! - the bridge is new and the junction onto the bridge is a maze of roadworks with hand-painted signs in Thai.
The last time I went over the bridge, I had to approach from route 3 that runs underneath route 34 from the airport.
you might try getting onto the ( from motorway 7 on the other side of the airport)

If you get it right you'll say at least 30 minutes (in traffic up to hours) on journey time, if you get it wrong you'll just end up working your way through the expressways of Bkk - good luck!

Google the map to see the trip is really is a lot easier than I make it sound!

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by khunwilko on 9/1/2010 at 10:36

it's ultra-clear on Google earth!

#4 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by khunwilko on 9/1/2010 at 10:36

and maps

#5 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.