• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Can anyone recommend a monastery for females interested in Buddhism? A short stay (i.e. < 1 week) is preferable. Location doesn't matter -- I'll go wherever necessary. This would be in March 2010. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 01:17

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

My wife once did a 10-day meditation program at a forest Wat not far from Surat Thani. It was a program designed for westerners/non-Thais. There were both men and women there, but the genders were segregated during the program. She had a pretty positive experience. Many of the people then went on to do an additional, follow-up program on Phangnan.

I'm afraid additional details escape me at the moment and she isn't here to ask right now either. Sorry about that. It was a decade ago, but the program was so popular, I'd imagine it was still going. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 10:33

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I stayed at Wat Sanghathan in Nonthaburi (just north of Bangkok) for about 2 weeks. This is a large temple in the forest tradition situated on an overgrown durian plantation. It's not geared towards westerners per se, but a handful of westerners do stay and are most welcome, females included. There were two western female meditators there at the same time as me. Phra Frank, a monk from the US, and Mae Chee Maria, a nun from Germany, are both associated with the temple and provide westerners with outstanding meditation instruction in English or German. Wat Sanghathan has 3 branch monasteries that are also available to westerners, assuming there's a western monk or nun in residence at the time (or the westerner speaks some Thai). Wat Sanghathan and its branches are good options for a westerner looking to mainly be around Thai Buddhists. All the chanting books are translated into English though and the abbot works toward a very open international-minded atmosphere so I certainly didn't feel like an "outsider" at all. Wat Sanghathan's website is www.vimokkha.com.

Other popular options that are more specifically geared towards westerners (including females) are the international Buddhism center at Wat Doi Sutthep in Chiang Mai (www.fivethousandyears.org), Wat Ram Poeng also in Chiang Mai, although I think they prefer for people to stay 26 days with a minimum of 10 (www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm), Wat Suan Mokkh near Surat Thani in the south (www.suanmokkh.com), Wat Kow Tahm on Koh Phangan (www.kowtahm.org), and Thailand Vipassana Center near Phitsanulok (www.dhamma.org).
    If you want to do more research check out www.buddhistravel.com.

Hope this helps,

DL

#3 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 12:13

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

oops, the one on Koh Phangan is www.watkowtham.org.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 12:25

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

oops again! www.watkowtahm.org. That's it, promise :)

#5 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 12:26

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

I'm doing a 4-day 'course' at Doi Suthep, in Chiang Mai. Normally they take people in for only one night stay, but at the end of every month it's possible to stay for 3 nights. I'm quite new to that, so I thought the 4 days would be enough without being meaningless. Don't recall the site now, but if you Google it you will be able to find.

#6 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 14:49

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

I don't think it's accurate that Doi Sutthep only takes meditators for 1 night... When I went there last April and inquired about staying I was told they encourage people to stay at least 10 days but will accommodate shorter stays and will take people for as long as 21 days. Of course this all depends on what accommodation they have available and they do seem to be booked up a good month or two in advance. It's very unusual for a temple to only allow a one night stay - what's the point? Their website: www.fivethousandyears.com.

#7 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 02:22

• cKristina

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Koh Phangan was an awesome experience for me,as a girl! I would highly recommend it.

#8 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 11:11

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Dluek, u r right, they do encourage minimum stays of 10 days, but some people r only curious, so they can do just an overnight stay. I didn't have the 10 days available, but didn't want to stay only for a night. I found out that at the end of each month you can do a 4-day stay, which worked pretty well for me!

#9 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 17:05

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Dluek, u r right, they do encourage minimum stays of 10 days, but some people r only curious, so they can do just an overnight stay. I didn't have the 10 days available, but didn't want to stay only for a night. I found out that at the end of each month you can do a 4-day stay, which worked pretty well for me!

#10 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 17:06

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Would like to stay in a Thai Monastery ... By euroguy44 on 11 Dec 2011 10 2034 16 Dec 2011