Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Possible Itinerary...Is it realistic?

• MrSB

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2009

Hey, Me and some friends are planning to travel Asia for about 60 days in June/July time. Was wondering if our possible itinerary is a bit stretched and would make us feel like were constantly travelling and not being able to see everything in the time were there.

We would like to visit the following...

Sandakan
    KL
    Ko pan Ngan
    Ayuttahaya
    Bangkok
    Siem Reap
    Phnom Penh
    HCMC
    Hanoi
    Vientiane
    Shanghai
    Beijing

We plan to use AirAsia mostly and then a few trains for shorter hops. Also is £1000/$1500 for food and drink too much or ok?

#1 Posted: 15/1/2010 - 20:19

• Advertisement

• Seba

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2009

I'm just back from a 60-day trip to SE-Asia...I'd say you're covering way too much ground (especially China)...and why do you stick to the big cities only? We stayed for 22 days in Laos and honnestly that 1 day in Vientiane was the least itneresting of all...

#2 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 02:23

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

If all the cities were in one country I'd say no problem but you're looking at a load of travel. I would take more for food and drink myself. 60 days of meals in Cambodia, Thailand ot Laos would only be about $800, assuming you keep away from western food; but Shanghai and Beijing could be a different matter.
    I agree with Seba, Vientiane is less than interesting, although I did have an extremely tasty fish dinner there.

My suggestion would be cut the last 3 cities and you should be OK. If you have time over it's east to get to places in Thailand from the train or bus stations in Bangkok.

#3 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 08:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It also isn't clear to me what you want to do in these places. I would suggest traveling to locations with a purpose - to see some specific things or do some specific things. Whether those things are seeing interesting sites or whether they are to go and party or to bum around on a beach, if you have an idea of what you want to do it will really help to shape out a plan of where you can best do or see those things.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 10:06

• MrSB

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2009

Well the plan wasnt to stay in all of those major cities, but rather to use them as a base to then explore surrounding areas. Want to do site seeing, partying and relaxing. I was debating on whether to take out China, but it would seem better to cut costs and make it easier for travel. The main thing about this post was to see about travelling times and money. Train and bus seem good to do though.

Thanks for your posts :)

#5 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 20:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 month Itinerary: realistic? ... By castillo823 on 11 Mar 2012 6 3962 24 Mar 2012
6 weeks itinerary Vietnam & Indonesia - is this vaguely realistic? ... By Lettie2012 on 3 Jan 2013 37 4669 16 Jan 2013