Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

thailand 6 week budget

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

hi all.
    me and my girlfriend are coming to thailand for 6 weeks in febuary and was wondering what sort of budget we should be aiming for?its our first time here so want to explore and see alot...the islands,bangkok,chaing mai and other things on the way.we are happy to eat cheap and will obviously share a room ect.any rough ideas about how much baht we should budget for each day to live,travel eat ect comfortably?many thanks

#1 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 23:38

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

It depends a lot on your definition of "cheap" and on the other hand "comfortably" :), but I'd say 1000-1500 baht each per day is a good range.

#2 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 01:32

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

hi and thanks for your reply, we will be eating mainly street food,staying in basic accommodation i.e double fan room. travelling by train and bus ect.but will want to be tours and explore the country.so if we set £45 a day that sound good.?cheers

#3 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 02:29

• mithamo

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

That'll work just fine Keiran. I recently went to thailand with a similar budget and it wont even be a challenge. You can probably even spring for a clean air-con room in every city, eat western food at least once a day, go out most nights, and take several guided tours. Have a great time!

#4 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 03:10

• mithamo

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2008

I assumed that budget was for each of you per day. Not combined. Correct?

#5 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 03:11

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

If you meant £45 combined, that still comes to around 1200 baht each per day, which is just fine. If you go for fan accommodation and cheap food, that's plenty.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 03:24

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

i meant combined ,but could proberly stretch to abit more. whats the main things that are going to be money eaters? we are going to australia/ new zealand after, any ideas on budget there also?cheers

#7 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 03:39

• mithamo

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2008

Some of the avoidable money eaters:
    -alcohol not served in a bucket
    -western food
    -packaged day tours
    -a/c and hot water

You guys could still indulge in these things selectively with your budget. There will probably be days where you guys just want to veg out by the beach or explore on foot. On days like this you can come in way under your buget.

Also, Thai food at all but the nicest restaurants is very inexpensive-often 1-3 euro per dish. I love love love the street food, but sometimes its nice to relax at a table, order off a menu, and be served. This is an indulgence that is well within your budget in every city in the Kingdom.

#8 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 11:03

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

thanks everyone for your replys. where are the not to miss places in thailand.cheers

#9 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 01:15

• jay66fr

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

The biggest money eaters in Thailand are:

-three and four star hotels. Though much cheaper than in, say, Western Europe, one night will cost you 2000 THB minimum

-bottled beer

-restaurants catering to tourists

#10 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 03:43

• Advertisement

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

i dont know how you guys do it....fair play though,im sure you all have a good time and enjoy yourselves on the budgets you have ("cut your cloth to suit") as my mum would say :D

when i go to thailand i blow between 5,000 - 10,000 bt per day! (money is like water in my hands)

i spend 48 weeks of the year working like a ****
    so i like to live it up a little :p ;)

#11 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 04:10

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008

The good thing about a lot of places in SE Asia is that there are places well under budget. So if you blow out on some days you can just go somewhere cheap and spend a few days there. For instance, I went to Pai for 4 days and spent only 2000B. OK, so there's not much to do in Pai but it's a nice peaceful place and the point is if you start running over budget it's easy to save with a few cheap days.

But the main things to avoid are western food, air conditioning(I found it more stuffy than fans), too much shopping. Another thing that saved money was a trip on the Mekong by slow boat. I booked this through an agent in Pai. The overall cost for three days was not much, you buy your food in markets before you go which saves on that cost and you get to see Laos. The visa is only 1000B and apart from what you spend at the start there are nearly no additional costs so long as you don't buy food on the boat. And at the end you can see Nong Khai when you get back to Thailand, costs are cheap there and they have a very large and inexpensive market.

#12 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 10:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The two big expenses in Thailand are women and booze. And in rural Thailand booze isn't that much either. Since you are bringing a woman, that should take care of that particular expense.

Outside the tourist areas (and even in them) reasonable accomodation can be had for 500 - 600 baht for the two of you. Cheaper in some places. Food is cheap if you eat street food or small restaraunts. 30-50 baht per person no problem. For me, a beer drinker, my restaraunt bill is always inflated by beer - add 60 baht for dinner.

The thing is for me, when I am on vacation, I don't like to count my baht, so I just want to do whatever and disregard budget. Some people actually enjoy doing things cheaply. I'm not one of them though. So CAN YOU get by on 45 pounds per day for the two of you? Sure. It just means you have to scrimp here and there. But you won't have to go hungry or anything.

#13 Posted: 23/1/2010 - 16:40

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

thanks for your replys everyone, MADMAC im like you also, dont want to stick to a budget but just getting rough ideas. any other advice would be great keiran

#14 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 16:58

• mithamo

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2008

"Some people actually enjoy doing things cheaply"

I must admit, I do get a certain satisfaction from watching how far I can stretch my US Dollars in Thailand. :).

However another issue is that a budget allows me (and probably others) to stretch a trip beyond just a few weeks. I understand you live in SEA MadMac, so perhaps that influences your vacation spending a little? I know when I go somewhere in the USA for some R&R, my checking account takes a pretty bad thrashing.

But if i'm flying across the Pacific to my favorite country in the world and I have enough time off work, I'm inclined to try to strrrretch that sucker out as many weeks as I can. Which unfortunately for me, means sticking to a budget.

Kieran. Rapid fire advice in no particular order:
    -Don't miss the seafood in Bangkok chinatown after about 6pm each day.
    -Mic59 is right about Pai, You guys should check it out soon after you head north, its only a 2 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai.
    -Travel with government busses and trains always (not tourist busses) because the gov. busses are better in every way.
    -Money stretches further in the north than at the beaches and islands typically, so you may want to go to the beaches first while your "well" is still deep.
    -Do go to a full-moon party on Koh Pangan.
    -If you want to have accom ready in Bangkok when you fly in, book at Lamphu house.It's very clean. It has a great location near the river taxis, 2 blocks from Khao San, and has a staff that will make you think Bangkok is friendly.
    - If you want to shop for suvenier type things, do it all at the end in Bangkok's MBK mall.
    -Check out the weekend market in Bangkok too. I've heard its the largest outdoor market in the world, anyone else heard this? It's awesome.
    -Pack light, you can buy clothes there and laundry is very very inexpensive.

If you'd like more specific advice, I'd love to help. My mom is Thai, so I used to get to go a few times a year. Now that I'm in college and out of the house i have to fund my own trips so they are few and far between sadly.

-Mo

#15 Posted: 25/1/2010 - 06:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Mo, I agreed with much of what you wrote (or had no opinion due to lack of experience). However, I disagreed with a few points:

"-Mic59 is right about Pai, You guys should check it out soon after you head north, its only a 2 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai."
    This location appeals to certain types of people. It's a mistake to assume it will appeal to everyone. I would advise him to read about it first, to ensure it's the kind of place he would like.

"-Travel with government busses and trains always (not tourist busses) because the gov. busses are better in every way."

Travel with the best VIP bus you can when going long distances. Best means most expensive. It's worth it. For shorter stretches, cheap buses are fine.

"-Do go to a full-moon party on Koh Pangan."

Again, this is bad advice. Some people love the full moon party. I'm not one of them, but I have friends who relly enjoy it. We all have different interests. I've read people talking about Pattaya saying "give it a miss" - if you're a sex tourist it's on the must do list. It's a mistake to assume that the only kind of tourist looking for information here is the cultural tourist.

"-Pack light, you can buy clothes there and laundry is very very inexpensive."

I don't really pack light - well compared to my wife I do - but I can comfortably carry 15 kg on my back for a long distance without a problem. So I bring everything I need. Bruce likes to just have a carry on, so he can skip picking up baggage and blow through customs quickly before the big lines hit. That's fine and it works for him. I do agree clothes are pretty cheap. Of course, you get what you pay for. Quality clothes are not so cheap. I understand the advantages and disadvantages either way - but I wouldn't assume everyone should always pack light. Now, when traveling on my chopper, yes, I pack light.

#16 Posted: 25/1/2010 - 09:45

• keiranbarnes

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

Mithamo and MADMAC, Thankyou both for your replies,some very good info there.and info, advice, what to see what not to see would be great. cheers

#17 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 01:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Kieran
    What are you interests? That's a great place to start when looking for advice on where to go. Some people want to see old ruins. Some people want to see natural beauty. Some people want to get away from tourist places and mix with locals as much as possible. Some people are really interested in the food... some people are interested in art... old architecture... it really helps to focus a visit if you know what you are interested in. A lot of tourists want to go see Ayudhaya. I have zero interest. So someone might say "make sure you go see Ayudhaya, you'll love it." That advice, which is not much help to me, comes from the fact I didn't explain what really interests me in the first place. Now, had I said "I love war history. Love walking old battlefields, old WW II places of interest..." Then someone would have said "Go see Kanchanaburi" that would, for me, be great advice.

#18 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 09:52

• Danlo

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Eat Thai from the Thai food stalls, plenty of Tasty choice and cheap, use 7/11 etc for travel snacks and drinks as all are priced and the coffee is good and they are everywhere.
    Do a Google search for budget accommodation before you get anywhere there are internet cafe's all over Thailand so you dont have to go far to find one.
    Its a great place for traveling light with the climate and you can wash your smalls, hang them up and in 10 mins they are dry.

#19 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 18:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand 6 week budget ... By rooflee on 22 Feb 2011 8 2640 2 Mar 2011
3 week Itinerary needed for Thailand on a small budget! ... By bro4dhead on 21 Apr 2009 3 9102 27 Apr 2009
Budget- 6 Week trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By carzyyy on 26 Jun 2013 1 1032 26 Jun 2013