Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Phuket In July (or other islands..)

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I am helping my Mum plan a trip to Thailand in July for her 50th. (A group of five women for about a week) It will probably be Phuket as it will be the easiest to access for us all - but its flexible.

Im looking for any tips on accomodation, which beach to stay at etc.

Somewhere a little away form the craziness, but accessable to shops, bars and restaurants.

Any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

#1 Posted: 20/1/2010 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

HI,
    Firstly you understand that Phuket in July is the rainy season? However, it's not all that bad, but don't expect every day to be sun shine! Also, be aware the sea can be rough with drownings in double figures every year.

I would recommend Kata/Karon. there are nice beaches, good restaurants, bars and cheap accommodation. It is also not so far from Patong ( the crazy place full of bars & 'night life' (read hookers)but still worth a trip for an evening or two! Just to look, of course.

If I am allowed to make suggestions on this site try phuketgardenhomes for accommodation, not on the beach but air con, fridge in room and pool. For food: Kata Mamas, on the beach in Kata, Red Oinion in Karon, and Fomula One (french restaurant)in Kata center. Kata & Karon are totally different to Patong and the like, friendly and easy going! Other popular places in Phuket such as Cape Panwa & Lauguna are really so far away from anything Thai that you might as well be anywhere!!!

Hope your ma enjoys herself!!
    Mike

#2 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 06:41

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks for your tips. Its much appreciated. Rainy season or not its the only time we can go.

Im sure it will be fine thought, waiting a storm out in a bar.. or with a massage, not all bad

#3 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 08:31

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Kata/Karon was going to be my suggestion as well -- big, long beach and a great selection of shops and restaurants. Do expect some rain and occasionally rough waters. Day trips Koh Phi-Phi and "James Bond Island" are easily arranged and good for small groups.

#4 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 14:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.