Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Changing Chinese Yuan to Thai Baht

• Preacher

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2010

I live in China and am coming over in Feb.

Is it possible to change large amounts of Chinese Yuan in Bangkok?

I'll have to change a bit at the airport to get into the city, but once I'm there are banks my best bet?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 17:31

• Advertisement

• mm716

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

Hi Preacher, I'm on the same boat as you, going in Feb from Shanghai. I did some research and here is what I found out:
    It's better to exchange Chinese Yuan at black market or some privet money exchange place like Super Rich in Bangkok, you get a better exchange rate.
    Chinese yuan get a pretty low exchange rate though in general, so it's better if you exchange your CNY to USD, and than do the exchange to THB once you're in Thailand. But from what I've read, the best way is to have a Chinese bank card that allows you to withdraw money abroad, that's pretty much the standard for all bank cards in china right now, but to be safe, you should ask your bank. Every bank charges a different fee for taking money out. Bank of China charges 15kuai for every transaction, Hua Xia Bank is the best deal, they let you take the first 3 transactions of the day for free. The exchange rate is just the standard atm exchange rate of the day. From what I've heard this seems to be the best deal, and you don't have to carry all that cash with you. What I'm gonna do is exchange a bit of THB in Bank of China, bring two bank cards and put them in different places, just in case one get stolen, and I think that should be good enough. If you can't exchange THB in your city, there's ATM machines right at the air port.
    I hope this helps,have a great holiday!

#2 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 10:16

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

don't forget though that even if your Chinese bank doesn't have very high transaction costs the Thai bank whose ATM you are using might.

I can't recall the sum but it has been mentioned here a few times as being quite high

#3 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 17:59

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

#4 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 18:06

• mm716

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2009

Yeah I've been wondering about that ATM charge. From the Chinese posts I've read, no one seem to mention an ATM charge for some reason, and these are pretty recent posts talking about first hand experiences of exchanging money in Thailand, so I'm a bit confused about that. Is it possible that Chinese ATM cards don't get charged??

#5 Posted: 24/1/2010 - 21:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
changing kip to baht ... By sinstone on 19 Jul 2009 6 2617 22 Jul 2009
Best place to get Thai Baht! ... By mlr on 12 Aug 2009 17 26941 18 Aug 2009
USD or Thai Baht in Laos ... By brianennion on 29 Jan 2009 1 6493 29 Jan 2009
Taking Thai Baht to Vietnam ... By CrankyCarrot on 10 Dec 2011 14 3494 3 Jan 2012
Using Thai Baht in Luang Prabang ... By TonyL on 4 Jul 2008 2 2357 5 Jul 2008
Exchanging Euro Money To Thai Baht, ... By borgy on 1 Feb 2010 0 1369 1 Feb 2010
Cambodia: Thai baht exchange for Riel ? ... By 5acrefarmer on 8 Jan 2011 2 4102 8 Jan 2011