Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Arriving in BKK late at night

• amylou

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2009

Hiya, I have found a cheap flight to Bangkok from Sydney in April but the only catch is that I arrive at midnight in Bangkok. I am a female backpacking solo (never been to Thailand before) so I would ideally like to sort out a airport transfer to a near by hostel that is friendly & can meet fellow travelers. Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a couple of nights? Thanks for your help! Amy

#1 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 11:12

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Amy
    When you use the term "traveler" I assume you are meaning the narrow definition of that - backpacker. If that assumption is correct, then the Khao San road area is where they are to be found in the greatest density. There are lots of posts here on recommend guesthouses there.

If you take a taxi, I recommend you try and share one with someone going where you are. Just look for other backpacker types. This will save you money and provide for more security. I have taken taxis at all hours in Bangkok, but I'm a male and pretty capable of taking care of myself. Women traveling by taxi alone at night are much more at risk.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 15:27

• borisborough

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I agree with Madmac.

There'll be lots of taxis at the airport. Ask for Khoa San Road and ask for it to be on the meter. You should then be asked also to pay the 70thb for the expressway. The meter will eventually show about 320thb meaning a total fare of less than 400thb. Don't let a driver talk you into paying an unmetered fare of 500thb - if one sticks to that, move on to the next taxi until you get one that'll do it on the meter.

#3 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 18:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I forget to mention - when I'm at the airport, I always go up to the fourth floor, where taxis are dropping people off. No wait up there and the taxis want to make a quick pick up. As Boris says, insist on the meter and agree to pay the tolls. You'll look like a tourist and they'll be angling hard to rip you off.

#4 Posted: 26/1/2010 - 21:23

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I will be in a similar position when I arrive and was also a little concerned about my options. I am hoping to be able to share a cab with some fellow travellers when I land. Hopefully there will be safety in numbers. (Although perhaps 'peace of mind' is a better expression than safety!)

I have a friend who had a bad experience at BKK some years ago. A rougue taxi driver placed her backpack in the trunk of the car and then drove off without letting her retrieve it. Suffice to say, she now puts her backpack on her lap when travelling by taxi.

Has anyone else heard of a similar thing recently?

#5 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 01:32

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

I've never had any troubles with taxis from the airport at around that time, my last flight arrived into BKK at around 2 am. My only concern was that my taxi driver was clearly drifting off whilst driving. He asked if he could stop and to get energy drink, i just moved into the front seat and spoke to him the whole trip.

Often i find that when ive agreed at the start to pay the toll fee, they've made me pay the fee before setting off and then not taking the express toll way, but i bring it up and they have alsways admitted defeat with a smile (fake though it may be). Find out the toll fees in advance, virtually everytime the driver has asked for many times the fee saying 'new price'. I had to go to the airport 3 times in 4 days once and every trip there was a 'new price' which wildly fluctuated.

#6 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 02:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I've honestly never had a problem. I always do sit up front, I always put my bag in the bag seat for easy retrieval, and I always chat with the driver. My Thai is just good enough to manage a basic conversation of the where are you from, what are you doing here for work, do you have family kind. Maybe now I'm a bit better than that... but I'm sure not talking politics or nuclear physics with these guys.

But I've heard stories about the risks to women from Thai ladies I dance salsa with. There may be some hyperbole, but they're sufficient to make me believe there's at least some truth in them.

#7 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 11:54

• amylou

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2009

Thanks for all your advice, very helpful. One more question...Has anyone stayed at the Lub D Bangkok on Decho Road
    Suriyawong Bangrak? I was recomended by my travel agent but thought i'd see if anyone has stayed there before? I am looking at staying somewhere for a couple of nights that is reasonably social so i can meet some other backpackers (but not full of drunk 19 year old!) and in a good central location. Many Thanks. A

#8 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 08:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Afraid I can't help you there as I personally stay in Sukhimvite (where the salsa dance scene is centered).

#9 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 09:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Arriving late at night in Kuching? ... By modulatrix on 20 Apr 2013 2 995 21 Apr 2013
Arriving Late in Ho Chi Minh ... By TheOtherOne on 1 May 2009 2 1989 2 May 2009
Arriving Late in Bangkok ... By bdtjones on 20 Jan 2011 3 3367 23 Jan 2011
Arriving in late (Bangkok) ... By noel59 on 28 Jan 2011 14 2707 1 Feb 2011
Arriving late in Thailand! Advice? ... By crystalrsh on 13 Sep 2013 10 1442 16 Sep 2013
Arriving in Bangkok around 10:30pm..too late to check in anywhere? ... By Travelguy76 on 30 Jun 2013 20 3238 9 Jul 2013
Arriving late into Phuket Airport, what to do/where to stay? ... By rustythomson on 4 Dec 2013 2 889 29 Dec 2013
Arriving late in HCMC/Hotel advice ... By brilliantjoy on 5 May 2014 2 708 8 May 2014
arriving late, where to stay/long term rentals ... By musicalnomads on 17 Aug 2009 2 3369 18 Aug 2009
Getting in to Bangkok late at night ... By spaswink on 25 Oct 2009 2 2721 25 Oct 2009