Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time in Thailand March 12-22..need advise!

• ELE1

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

HI All
    I just bought a plane ticket to Bankgok for the period above and this is my first time in Asia at all and I can't wait!
    I need some suggestions from expert travellers on how I can take the most out of my 10 days in Thailand.
    We would like to visit Bangkok and then fly to Southern Islands for some sea and nature kind of holiday and also a bit of party :)
    So, in this period middle March is it better to go to Ko Samui area or to Krabi area? Where are the better weather condition? And which area would you suggest at all to spend a week on my first trip to Thailand?
    Looking forward to hearing your advise!
    Ele

#1 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Both areas have similar weather in March - normally good dry season stuff.

Hard to say which is the better - Krabi has the more spectacular scenery but Samui is not shabby in this respect. Samui has the bigger range of accommodation and will not be as crowded as the popular Railay area of Krabi. Both areas are getting a reputation for being a bit overdone, but I reckon they are still real good places to visit.

Both places have good access to other islands - from Samui to Phangan and from Krabi to Lanta. Both these are arguably the best all round islands in Thailand.
    You can also easily get to Phi Phi and laid back Ko Jum from Krabi and to Ko Tao from Samui/Phangan.

#2 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 19:50

• ELE1

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

Thanks Tezza for the advice! I have a further question :) ...if I choose Krabi area, where should I stay? Better pick one location and do day trips to other beaches / islands or should I sleep in different places?
    Also, Shall I book in advance the accomodation or is it easy to find directly at arrival? Thanks!!!

#3 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 22:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No need to pre-book your accommodation in March which is shoulder season. Most of the cheaper rooms/bungalows can't be pre-booked anyway. Since you just have 10 days, I'd just spend a day in Bangkok then head south. Since it's your first time might be more of an adventure to get a sleeper train from Bangkok down to Trang then bus/van transfer to Ko Lanta. A couple days on Lanta then ferry to Ko Phi Phi, couple days there then ferry to Railay Beach. Then grab a flight from Krabi to Bangkok for the last day of shopping. Time's up =)

March is a good time for this trip - hot and not too rainy (evenings usually) and less tourists than Dec/Jan peak season so prices/availability of rooms are more flexible and beaches not so crowded.

#4 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 11:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :) ... By rubyforanparkin on 15 Jul 2012 11 4047 22 Jul 2012
1st Time Travel to Vietnam - need advise pls. ... By Bello on 16 May 2007 23 2425 23 May 2007
Advise for time frame for itinerary ... By nurseratched on 3 Apr 2010 0 2375 3 Apr 2010