Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Dive courses - Ko Tao (I need some help)

• Dubraatz

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hey there,
    We are going to take our open water and advanced open water dive courses in Ko Tao in the middle of Feb. We have not pre booked anything we are just gonna show up and take it from there, more exciting that way!
    I would appreciate any comments, experiences and recommendation you might have, cheap places to stay, dive shops that include accom with dive courses, friendly staff, knowledgeable instructors, etc... Anything would help me out. It's always nice to get info from travelers that have previous experience and that can pass on some knowledge to us "Newbies!"
    Peace and love
    J

#1 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 11:51

• Advertisement

• lkwinkler

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2009

wow! i am jealous of your trip. i was in sea over the summer and had a blast! i went to koh tao and got certified to dive there. i went through phoenix divers! they are AMAZING! they offer diving, rooms, and breakfast for all under $300 american. the staff there is soooo friendly. if you google them i am sure you can find it online. i was really scared but my instructor was amazing. he name is off. he took such good care of me and made me feel safe. i would recommend everyone getting certified there!

#2 Posted: 31/1/2010 - 16:36

• keithsutter

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

I finished my Advanced Open Water PADI Certification on Koh Tao in December 2009. While I did it with Simple Life http://www.simplelifedivers.com, and was able to get a very cheap rate ($30/dive) it was NOT worth it. The equipment was in bad shape, and the instructors were more interested in going out at night than teaching you anything about diving. Stay away from Simple Life and you will learn something. Read more about my experience in Southern Thailand here: www.greenaroundtheglobe.com/2010/01/05/southern-thailand-highlights-and-recommendations

#3 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 16:29

• Dubraatz

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Thanks Keith and Winkler I think we have decided on DJL (Davey Jones Locker) as the place we want to take our courses. I haven't read a bad review and by the looks of their website and the info on it I think we are making the right choice. We aren't pre booking anything so they might not be able to accommodate us.
    Thanks for the comment they are a big help!
    Cheers!

#4 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 17:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dive master courses ... By photosyntheze on 1 Oct 2012 0 999 1 Oct 2012