Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mid-May to Mid-June 2010 Travels

• eliasmae

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2010

Hi All,

I just booked my flight to Thailand for my first trip! I am very excited. I will be arriving to BKK late at night on Wed. May 19th at 10:55pm. I will departing from BKK as well on Wed. June 16th. I am a 22 year old male from the US, and will be traveling alone. I have an uncle who has lived in Chiang Mai for about two decades.

However, currently he is in Hanoi and out of email reach, and I have been trying to get some help with my itinerary for the time I will be there. I will be using a backpacker's budget, looking to spend no more than 1000 USD during my stay (roughly 30USD a day), including food and accommodations.

I would like to spend 2 days of so in Bangkok and explore around, again doing so cheaply. Next I'd like to go North, I'll presumably be staying with my Uncle in Chiang Mai, but ideas of stuff to do? I'd like to do some hiking, sightseeing with temples, any ruins, perhaps an elephant park/ride visit. Not all of this has to be done in Chiang Mai. Some advice on some things to do and places to see would be great!

Now the middle part is where I'm stuck. I do not know what are good places to visit, and there's just too many to choose from on the internet. So any places to visit, whether in Thailand or other countries that are a must for a lone backpacker would be great to hear! I know many of you have been traveling and in my similar spot. I know I would like to end my trip on the islands, or somewhere else. If possible, I'd like to attend a Full Moon Party, but that falls on May 29, kind of in the beginning of my trip. I may need to do some shuffling in order to do so, but again advice is appreciated!

Anyways, as stated, this is my first trip, and I'm really uneducated in Thailand places to visit. Also, if anyone is going to be traveling during the same times I will be there, I would love to meet up with someone and travel around. So if anyone (Reet, I've seen your helpful posts before as well as other posters!) can give me guesthouse advice, location advice and overall travel advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Feel free to email me as well. My email address is eliasmae@gmail.com

Best, and thanks in advance,
    Matthew

#1 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 06:40

• Advertisement

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

I'm sure your uncle in Chiang Mai will be able to advise you of fun things to do there.

I'm also planning my trip in May 2010. My trip to Chiang Mai includes visit to Mae Hong Son and the village of Pai. They are great for visiting temples and night markets, doing some trekking and seeing the waterfalls.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 09:32

• eliasmae

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2010

Thanks for the replies so far!

I think I have decided to stay in when I arive 19th of May and stay in Bangkok for a few days, then fly to Phuket , hit either western or eastern islands (which would be best at the end of May?) I will be in the islands for 5-7 days. I fly back from Phuket directly to Chiang Mai . I will spend one week in Chiang Mai (more or less), then go to Luang Prabang, and then to Chiang Rai for a few days. I will depart Chiang Rai on the 15th of June, flying out of Bangkok on the 16th of June.

Does this sound round about? Or am I messing things up. The reason I am doing it this way is money wise. For all of those flights, the total is 7,335 THB, which is within my budget. Let me know if this sounds reasonable!

Best,
    Matthew

#3 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 01:54

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There are direct flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket on Air Asia for as little as 1300 baht plus tax. Check out http://www.airasiaplus.com to search out the cheapest fares then book on the http://booking.airasia.com website. The side trip to Luang Prabang takes a few days by river or bus otherwise you're looking at a Lao Airlines flight for roughly $300 CNX-LPQ return.

#4 Posted: 18/3/2010 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.