Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Broke down in rural Thailand

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My new (second hand) chopper has been having teething troubles. I now think it's just about ready to go, but three days ago I had a funny little adventure.

I rode out to my wife's village to visit the in-laws and check on my building site. Wife and kids were coming the next day. Got to Saimun and decided to stop and grab a coke before driving the last ten klicks to the house. Did a little food shopping and threw the stuff in my saddle bags. Got on the bike and it won't turn over. Battery is dead. So I bring it to a mechanic right next door. He charges it and off I go. Everything seems OK, although I am pondering why it died.

Get to the house and after checking on everything, father in law heads to the farm so I decide to go visit a friend of mine who lives about 30 klicks away. It's a nice ride. Get to his house, visit a while, and as the sun is setting decide I'd better hit the road before it gets dark. Get on the bike... it won't turn over.

Push the bike to another mechanic, and now it's obvious something is wrong with the battery. It won't hold a much of a charge, but I figure once on the road we'll be good to go at least until I get to the house. Well, I figured wrong.

It's now darker than six inches up a goats butt, and I get to about ten klicks from the destination when the bike just dies. I'm now out in the middle of nowhere, no street lights, no houses - no nothing anywhere near me. What to do? After about three minutes a motorcycle comes down the road. I flag him down, and he agrees to push my (using his foot to hold a peg). My bike is heavy, and in the beginning it's a struggle. But we make it all ten klicks. Damn nice of the kid, as he wasn't going to where I was going. I gave him a couple of hundred baht for gas and the trouble.

Shade tree mechanic checked my wiring, alternator and put in a new battery, and the bike is now tip top. So it all worked out in the end.

Say what you want about kids today (both the kid on the bike and the mechanic were no older than 20) but when I needed a hand, they were there.

#1 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 12:22

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.