my wife and I will visit Laos end March/begin April. After this we would like to take a direct bus back from Chiang Khong to Bangkok. We have some questions about this :
1) are there sleeper buses that drive directly between Chiang Khiang and Bangkok?
2) where can I find the time schedules (some website of company)?
3) are they comfortable? can you really lay down or are it just seats?
4) should we make a reservation for this?
5) if yes, where should we make this reservation and how long on forehand?
thanks a lot for any information!!
#1 the_bending_unit has been a member since 10/2/2010. Posts: 2
1. overnight buses.
2. most info in Thai only...
Transport Co Ltd: http://22.214.171.124/~transport/timetable01_north.php
Sombat Tour: http://www.sombattour.com/html/route/962.php
maybe other companies too.
3. seats that recline, not horizontal bunks. best type of bus on this route for Transport Co = 32-seater AC, seats recline 125 degrees. not taken Sombat Tour buses before.
4. depends on whether you hit the weekends before/after Songkran & Songkran itself. 6th April's also a Thai public holiday.
a. both companies have call centres, dunno if they handle calls in English
b. go down to their offices in Morchit bus station in northern Bangkok (if you'll be in Bangkok before heading to Laos)
c. www.thaiticketmajor.com (aka. TTM - ticketing service that does movie theatre & other event bookings for a fee) for Transport Co Ltd...but you'll get a voucher that you'll hafta exchange for the actual bus ticket at a TTM booth in a bus station & no idea if this can be done in Chiang Khong which has zero TTM outlets...(only tried this method in Bangkok before)
d. travel agent/guesthouse might be able to help?
how far in advance they accept bookings, think maybe 2 months for Transport Co, not sure about Sombat Tour.