Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand itinerary questions :)

• Karlap

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Hello!

I will be traveling in Thailand next month and have spoken with a friend about where to go. The current itinerary is Bangkok- Ayutthaya - Kanchanaburi - Chiang Mai .

My questions are: Would it be better to travel to Kanchanaburi before Ayutthaya since I will be heading north afterwards? Is it possible to get an overnight train/bus to Chiang Mai from Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi or will I need to head back to Bangkok to get the train/bus? Lastly- how much does the train/bus usually cost to Chiang Mai?

Thanks for any help!

#1 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 13:10

• Advertisement

• mullup

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2005

There's no problem departing Ayutthaya to get to Chiang Mai. Some pretty handy information on the seat61 site;

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

#2 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 20:51

• Karlap

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Thanks for your reply! That website is very helpful. Am I to assume that you'd suggest changing my itinerary to go Bangkok-Kanchanaburi-Ayyuthaya as opposed to Bangkok-Ayuthaya-Kanchanaburi? Thanks!

#3 Posted: 12/2/2010 - 09:21

• mullup

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2005

That would make the most sense... organise a mini van from Kanchanaburi to Ayutthaya @ 100-200฿, once you're there.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 21:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Karlap,

I agree with mullup that the Bangkok- Kanchanaburi - Ayutthaya - Chiang Mai route makes the best sense, particularly since there is no direct train from Kanchanaburi to Chiang Mai.

From Bangkok you can take the special train to Kanachanaburi out of the Bangkok Noi Staion in Thonburi, and then from Kanchanaburi take the bus or a minivan to Ayutthaya. Once you get to Ayutthaya, you are back on the main rail line that goes from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and can easily take an overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai directly from there.

Just remember that the overnight sleeper trains fill up quickly, so make your train reservations as far in advance as you can. A 2nd class A/C sleeper berth from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai will cost in the 800 baht per person range, but if you can afford an extra 500 baht or so per person, you can get a 1st class compartment for just the two of you, which is much more comfortable and well worth the money. Have fun.

#5 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 23:49

• Karlap

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Thank you both very much! You were very helpful. I will make the changes to my itinerary. Cheers!

#6 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 08:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Northern Thailand Itinerary questions ... By FishUdders on 25 Oct 2011 4 1214 27 Oct 2011
Travel Itinerary Questions for Thailand/Cambodia ... By llefranc on 10 Mar 2010 3 1860 10 Mar 2010