Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Koh Phangan travel advice

• john1200

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2010

Hi there

I'm newly registered to the forum but I've been reading various posts on here over the last few weeks as research for my first trip to Thailand at the end of February.

I know there are loads of threads regarding travelling to Koh Phangan but I have few more specific questions that I hope someone will be able to give me advice on.

My plane is arriving in Bangkok at 15:45 on 27th Feb and I am intending to get a sleeper train to Surat Thani that evening, followed by a ferry to Koh Phangan the next day.

I believe there are sleeper trains leaving from Hualamphong at 19.30 and 22.50. Can anyone advise as to whether there is enough time to get from the airport to Hualamphong for the 19.30 train? Obviously I have to allow at least an hour for baggage collection, some time to get to the train station, plus I should also take into consideration if there will be any delays with my flight. Would it be more sensible to book the 22.50 train? And if so, is there much to do around the area of Hualamphong station and somewhere to leave my baggage so I can explore the place for the evening?

I need to book the train in advance as it's on a weekend and just 2 nights before the full moon party of March 1st.

I am also wondering if it's worth booking a combined train-bus-ferry ticket in advance or just getting the bus-ferry ticket from Surat Thani when I arrive and there won't be any problems with doing this with it being so close to the full moon party. I've heard numerous horror stories about the private buses and been advised to use the government ones - does this generally just apply to longer journeys or should I stay away from them even for the short trip from Surat Thani train station to where the ferry leaves for Koh Phangan/Samui?

Any advice would be much appreciated

#1 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• john1200

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2010

It seems the 22.50 train does not have sleeper cars so it looks like I might have to risk going for the earlier 19.30 train.

#2 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 19:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel bangkok to koh phangan ... By smiller9 on 9 Oct 2012 1 1780 9 Oct 2012
Travel Help Ko Phangan to Bangkok ... By DaviPigg on 9 Mar 2010 1 1027 9 Mar 2010