Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Area/guesthouse To Stay In Chiang Mai, Sukothai & Lampang

• borgy

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

I'll appreciate if someone can guide me in which areas of Chiang Mai, Sukothai and Lampang it's best to stay in and maybe indicate also any cheap but good guesthouses or similar accommodation to stay in these 3 places. Will be glad if this area is close to all amenities which includes some pubs nearby where we can have a couple of beers in the evening, but at the same time being an area which is not too busy, not too expensive and not too noisy. Our budget is not more than 500Baht each night. Just to let you know we will make 2 nights in both Sukothai & Lampang and 7nights in Chiang Mai.thanks a lot.

#1 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 18:53

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Borgy,

In Sukhothai, nearly all the independent traveller stuff is located right near the Phra Ruang Bridge, which is about 3 km from the bus station. That's where you'll find a great variety of places to stay, eat, and other stuff to do, including the bus that goes out to the ruins.

For accommodation, I'd recommend the TR Guesthouse, although the Garden Guesthouse right next door is a good choice too. Both are well within your budget, have small but good attached restaurants, and are good spots for a morning coffee or an evening beer. There are listings for the different places to stay at the bus station in Sukhothai. It should cost about 20 baht per person for door-to-door delivery of you and your stuff.

Three good spots to eat or for a beer or three right near where you'd be staying are Chopper Bar, Khun Tanode, and Poo (Crab) Restaurant. They are good for evening Chopper Bar is right at the intersection of the main road and small street where TR and Garden Guesthouses are located. Khun Tanode is just across the street and on the corner of the river, right next to the bridge. Poo is just up the main road near where the bus is to the old city. All are easy to find. There is also a defacto night market that sets up right at that intersection and near the 7/11 that has good, cheap food, as well as the official night market across the bridge and about a 1 km walk into town. That one is small but has some good choices for food.

Another option is to stay out near the old city in Sukhothai. This is great if you like visit the ruins very early in the morning or late at night. The accommodation options out there aren't as good, but there are some very good restaurants, including Erawan and Coffee Cup. It is a 20 baht fare for the bus out to the old city. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 23:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

In Lampang, nearly all the independent travel stuff is along a short section of river near the Riverside Guesthouse. It's a 20 baht ride per person from the bus or train station, and everything is within easy walking distance once you get to this area.

The Riverside is a nice spot, with interestingly decorated rooms and friendly staff, but even so it is a bit pricey for your budget and the river views aren't all that good. The place is popular with families and people travelling with small children. Another option is the string of Thai business hotels about two blocks north of the Riverside on a fairly main street, with the best of the bunch being the Asia Lampang. Comfy and quiet double rooms, with breakfast included, were going for 500 baht in December 2009.

Lampang has a great local pub scene, and many of them offer live music most nights at 9 pm. The ones I visited were called Please, Tap House, and Gibbon, and were all located near each other on the street between the Riverside and the Asia Lampang. There are also several great restaurants to try. A very popular one is called Aroy Baht Diaw, on the corner of Thipchang and Suandok, right near the bar section of town. Another worth mention is Huean Chom Wang, with its great atmosphere right on the river on Talad Kao Road.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 23:32

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As for Chiang Mai, there is so much there that it is hard to suggest just one area. Since you'll be there for 7 nights, I guess you could split the time between two different spots.

My favorite spot to stay lately has been along Moon Muang Road Soi 6 or so, and specifically at the CM Blue House. It is well run and has very comfortable rooms in the 350 baht per night range for a double. That area of town (inside the moat and not too far from the Tha Pha Gate) has heaps of places to eat, grab a beer, get a massage, etc. There are many side streets and alleys too which make for good exploring. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2010 - 23:37

• borgy

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

thanks a lot for your priceless help Exacto...all the best my friend...you must be a great person!

borgy

#5 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 20:42

• lutispardon

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2010

Lampang

I agree with exacto, The riverside gh is a great place to stay, and for relaxing as well! I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and paid 250 B for a nice room with shared bathroom, and everything was super-clean!

#6 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 12:22

• rlampang

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Hotels in Lampang
    "R-Lampang Guesthouse"
    When I visited the guesthouse in May 2010 it was a pleasant surprise to see a new guesthouse in Lampang along the Wang river. It has 9 rooms and there all a little bit different but all have TV, Airco and private bathroom with shower only. Price does not inc. breakfast but they have a simple but good restaurant. There is parking for a few cars but of course no swimming pool. The staff is friendly and helpful. For me the only bad thing is the hard mattress. The have bicycles and motorbikes for rent. The location is very good at Thanon Kaad Kong-Ta where in the weekend is the night market.
    See http://www.r-lampang.com/

written by Chang Noi
    from http://www.thailandvoice.com/hotels-in-lampang/

#7 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 20:28

• nim

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

hi
    If would you like to go chiang mai i recommend cool guesthouse at chiangmai becuase have very nice staff They can speak franch and have good service because the staff help me many thing.

#8 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 16:06

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was just in Sukhothai a couple of weeks ago. Stayed at New Garden. Tidy bungalows were B350 (with fan and bathroom, no a/c). Quite nice.

Everything Exacto mentioned with regards to other places and bars is spot-on.

Also stayed at the Old City Guest House in Old Sukhothai. Huge room with fan, bathroom, and tv for B300. I thought I misheard when I was quoted the price. Right across the road from the Historical Park, and lots of eating places just steps away. Very impressed with this place. Not much in the way of a common area for hanging out, though.

Highly recommend Si Satchanalai. The temples there are amazing! Much more impressive than those in Sukhothai.

#9 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 22:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.