Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

5 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

• waitrya

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling through these 3 countries for the first time in May for 5 weeks. We mostly want to experience new cultures, see all the sights and relax on some nice beaches.

We have a bit of an itinerary which includes, Bangkok - 3 days, Ko Chang - 3 days, Siem Reap - 3 days, Phnom Penh - 3 days, Ho Chi Minh City - 6 days, Phuket and West coast islands - 4 days, Eastern Islands - 6 days, Chang Mai - 4 days.

Just wanting to know if this sounds like a good plan or if we may be trying to see a bit too much in this time frame?

Should we be allocating more time for some places and less for others?

What is the best way to spend 6 days in Vietnam on a bit of a budget.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Ryan

#1 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 04:39

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi Ryan!

Keep in mind it takes almost a whole day to travel from one place to another. I think the winning strategy is to do fewer stops but for a longer time to avoid feeling like the whole holiday has been one long bus ride! The places I remember most fondly from my trip are the ones where I spent at least 5 days.

Chiang Mai, for example, is an awesome place but it's not really en route to anywhere else you want to go to and it's a 10hr train ride both ways. Of course, if it's somewhere you really want to go it'll totally be worth it, but you get the gist.

If Cambodia & islands are your priority, I would suggest getting a cheap flight from Bangkok to Phnom Penh with AirAsia.com then working your way West to Sieam Reap before hitting the islands (or the other way round).

6 days in Vietnam might be a bit wasted & you might wanna save it for another trip, it's the kind of place that needs time to grow on you. And it's $50 for an entry visa!

I wouldn't worry too much about allocating time too tightly - that's what I did last year then realised it was a lot more fun to go with the flow: if you like a place, stay; if you don't like it, leave. Bookings are rarely needed unless you wanna be in a place when a particular event is on.

Hope you have a great time, take care!
    FSH

#2 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 00:22

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Yep way too much for the time allocated... and trying to spend 6 days in Vietname is just a pure waste of time.. however if you really must spend time there I would head up to Hanoi and do 3 days Hanoi and 3 days Sapa... amazing part of Vietnam to see...

I have done a couple of 6 week trips to SE Asia and both times I just did two countries... first time was 5 weeks Thailand 1 week Cambodia and the 2nd time was 2 weeks Laos and 4 weeks Thailand.

A good plan would be similar to my first trip which I couldnt fault:

Bangkok 3 days
    Overnight train to CM
    Chiang Mai 5-6 days
    Fly to Bangkok, overnight train to KPN
    Ko Phangan and/or Ko Tao 5-6 days
    Khao Sok National Park 2-3 days
    Phuket 5-6 days
    Ferry to Ko Lanta via PP Island
    Ko Lanta 3-4 days
    Flight to Phnom Penh from Krabi via Bangkok (1 day travel)
    Phnom Penh 2 days
    Siem Reap 3-4 days
    Bangkok 2-3 days
    HOME

If anything take out Ko Lanta and do a 1-2 day trip to PP Island... but it gives you a good amount of time in a few different places with some small side trips per se!

Have a look at my blogs for other ideas: www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet

Reet

#3 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 02:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm with the other posters here. WAY too much travel time for five weeks. There's at least a whole week in transit - some 20% of your vacation stuck waiting in airports, bus and train terminals, or sitting on a bus, train or plane.

I also wondered why you would want to spend 6 days in Saigon and only three in Bangkok?

I would cut either Vietnam or Cambodia entirely (I assume BKK is your point of entry). In fact, with only five weeks I would cut both. Get some good beach time down south, and then head north and add Laos to your agenda. The reason is geograghy. If you want to go to Chiang Mai, then moving from there further north and northeast into Laos makes sense to me.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 09:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam in 3 weeks ... By bbluedd on 16 Jul 2013 2 794 16 Jul 2013
Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in 3 weeks ... By jonice08 on 16 May 2013 6 1609 25 May 2013
5 Weeks Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam??I ... By megwag90 on 24 Feb 2014 23 991 3 Mar 2014
3 weeks Vietnam Cambodia and Thailand ... By Liveley on 25 Dec 2012 3 2105 3 Jan 2013
Thailand,cambodia, vietnam in 6 weeks?? ... By macdaisy on 25 Aug 2008 2 3208 25 Aug 2008
Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia in 3 weeks ... By squaretiger on 2 Aug 2012 4 2296 11 Aug 2012
Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in 3 weeks? ... By elysek on 22 May 2012 4 1994 23 May 2012
6/7 weeks in thailand/cambodia & vietnam ... By chivers on 7 Oct 2009 1 2402 8 Oct 2009
Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand 4 weeks HELP!! ... By charlotte1208 on 11 Feb 2009 1 5738 13 Feb 2009
5 Weeks - (Thailand) - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By nikeshbjani on 28 Jul 2013 17 1484 4 Aug 2013