Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in-country travel advice for two weeks with toddler in Bangkok,Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta

• daphnehk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2010

We are traveling to Thailand for two weeks in early April, with a 20-month-old. Ideally I'd like to land in Bangkok, spend a few days there; then get a train compartment South and hit two beach locations -- one easy to get to in the vicinity of Koh Phi Phi, the second probably Koh Lanta; then fly out from Phuket.

Do people have advice on (a) how to handle the travel amongst those places, and (b) where to stay with a toddler? For the travel, we are willing to get our own flotation device and take the kid on a boat; we are not willing to set ourselves up for many unpredictable hours of waiting with an impatient tired child. So hired cars and the like may be options. For the lodging, we are willing to pay upmarket prices for a beautiful place and for ease, peace, and safety for the kid if that's what it takes. (Although I know it will be culture and sticker shock compared to my earlier backpacking stints in SE Asia sans baby -- I have spent lots of time in Laos, Burma, and Cambodia and very little in the more tourist-friendly and expensive areas we are going now.)

Advice is very much appreciated - I know this kind of transit advice is much easier to gather on the ground, so huge thanks in advance to anyone who can provide it!

Daphne

#1 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 09:17

• Advertisement

• daphnehk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2010

I should add that we are very resistant to going to big resorts. But I don't want to have a knee-jerk prejudice here. If experienced parent travelers tell me this that there are actually tremendous advantages to the resorts compared to smaller or local-owned places, I promise to listen and take heed.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 09:23

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Daphne, the two times I have been to Lanta has been in March. Very child friendly island. Plenty of families with little toddlers. Long Beach is very gentle sloping and safe,most kids were having a ball. You could catch a Tigerline ferry down from Phi Phi. Check out theirwebsite. We stayed in beachfront bungalows at Sayang Beach Resort. Couldn't fault family run operation. These bungalows were a/c which you'll probably find a godsend in Early April. Good Luck,any questions ask away

#3 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 11:11

• daphnehk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2010

Very helpful, thanks! Did you fly in via Phuket, or try overland travel from Bangkok? I'm wondering if adding that element is unwise... or maybe we should do Bangkok at the end so we have time to change our minds and fly Phuket-BKK to leave if the train seems too stressful.

#4 Posted: 16/2/2010 - 13:17

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

No, one time was via minivan coming up from Trang and exit via Krabi. Next time was Bkk-Krabi via Air Asia then is about 2 hrs from airport in minivan including car ferry trip to your bungalow. All works pretty seamless. Not sure of the ferry situation from Phuket to Phi Phi to link up with tigerline ferry. Then tigerline didn't go to Phuket.Not sure were your flying in from. Hope that helps

#5 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 04:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Big Chang or Lanta with a toddler ... By madam_butterfly on 4 Jan 2010 5 2430 5 Feb 2010
Railay or Lanta in May with a toddler - where to stay? ... By ruth678 on 17 Mar 2010 1 1780 18 Mar 2010
Itinerary for 3 weeks in Thailand (maybe another country too) ... By Danwhyles on 21 Feb 2013 0 1344 21 Feb 2013
Phucket/Krabi/Lanta travel advice? ... By lordydord on 1 Sep 2011 3 1417 6 Sep 2011
Travelling with Toddler any advice? ... By jjinlondon on 6 Sep 2012 7 1978 3 Oct 2012
Laos: 2 weeks with toddler and baby ... By FionaMelbourne on 28 Jun 2009 17 3582 15 Jul 2009
3 weeks with a toddler - Good Planning required ... By demirdanny on 5 Jan 2012 4 2177 5 Jan 2012