Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand in-country travel advice for two weeks with toddler in Bangkok,Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta

Posted by daphnehk on 16/2/2010 at 09:17

We are traveling to Thailand for two weeks in early April, with a 20-month-old. Ideally I'd like to land in Bangkok, spend a few days there; then get a train compartment South and hit two beach locations -- one easy to get to in the vicinity of Koh Phi Phi, the second probably Koh Lanta; then fly out from Phuket.

Do people have advice on (a) how to handle the travel amongst those places, and (b) where to stay with a toddler? For the travel, we are willing to get our own flotation device and take the kid on a boat; we are not willing to set ourselves up for many unpredictable hours of waiting with an impatient tired child. So hired cars and the like may be options. For the lodging, we are willing to pay upmarket prices for a beautiful place and for ease, peace, and safety for the kid if that's what it takes. (Although I know it will be culture and sticker shock compared to my earlier backpacking stints in SE Asia sans baby -- I have spent lots of time in Laos, Burma, and Cambodia and very little in the more tourist-friendly and expensive areas we are going now.)

Advice is very much appreciated - I know this kind of transit advice is much easier to gather on the ground, so huge thanks in advance to anyone who can provide it!

Daphne

#1 daphnehk has been a member since 16/2/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by daphnehk on 16/2/2010 at 09:23

I should add that we are very resistant to going to big resorts. But I don't want to have a knee-jerk prejudice here. If experienced parent travelers tell me this that there are actually tremendous advantages to the resorts compared to smaller or local-owned places, I promise to listen and take heed.

#2 daphnehk has been a member since 16/2/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by swag on 16/2/2010 at 11:11

Hi Daphne, the two times I have been to Lanta has been in March. Very child friendly island. Plenty of families with little toddlers. Long Beach is very gentle sloping and safe,most kids were having a ball. You could catch a Tigerline ferry down from Phi Phi. Check out theirwebsite. We stayed in beachfront bungalows at Sayang Beach Resort. Couldn't fault family run operation. These bungalows were a/c which you'll probably find a godsend in Early April. Good Luck,any questions ask away

#3 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by daphnehk on 16/2/2010 at 13:17

Very helpful, thanks! Did you fly in via Phuket, or try overland travel from Bangkok? I'm wondering if adding that element is unwise... or maybe we should do Bangkok at the end so we have time to change our minds and fly Phuket-BKK to leave if the train seems too stressful.

#4 daphnehk has been a member since 16/2/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by swag on 17/2/2010 at 04:26

No, one time was via minivan coming up from Trang and exit via Krabi. Next time was Bkk-Krabi via Air Asia then is about 2 hrs from airport in minivan including car ferry trip to your bungalow. All works pretty seamless. Not sure of the ferry situation from Phuket to Phi Phi to link up with tigerline ferry. Then tigerline didn't go to Phuket.Not sure were your flying in from. Hope that helps

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.