Thaksin's assets trial coming up Feb. 26

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

It looks like the Thai courts are going to freeze former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's assets in a trial on Feb. 26, and many people are predicting major "red shirt" demonstrations and possible political violence in Bangkok if they indeed do freeze his assets. I wouldn't cancel any trips over it, but it's something to be mindful of if you're planning to be in Bangkok around that day. At the very least you'll probably see a lot more army personnel than usual - I hear they're going to try to "stop it before it starts" this time around.

#1 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 09:48

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

#2 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 11:58

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

They already have his 76billion baht. On the 26th the court will deliver it's verdict on whether to keep it or give it back to him. The red shirts are planning on holding rallies all next week but have pledged that they will be peaceful. All sorts of rumors are being spread. The government is preparing but is trying to keep everything low key. You will probably see security checks next week especially in the government area of Bangkok. Up untill recently the reds had been calling it the "final battle" in it's bid to topple the government. They have kind of backed off that. I wouldn't worry to much unless it does turn violent then just try to avoid those areas. LOL I plan on drinking Leo as usual.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 14:00

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I see they found an explosive device outside a court at the weekend and a grenade exploded at a University.All of it adds to the tension but it would'nt put me off.Just keep away from sensitive areas.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 14:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.