Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thaksin's assets trial coming up Feb. 26

Posted by DLuek on 17/2/2010 at 09:48 TF writer

Hi,

It looks like the Thai courts are going to freeze former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's assets in a trial on Feb. 26, and many people are predicting major "red shirt" demonstrations and possible political violence in Bangkok if they indeed do freeze his assets. I wouldn't cancel any trips over it, but it's something to be mindful of if you're planning to be in Bangkok around that day. At the very least you'll probably see a lot more army personnel than usual - I hear they're going to try to "stop it before it starts" this time around.

#1 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by khunwilko on 17/2/2010 at 11:58

Here's my Thaivisa thread on it.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Foreign-Tourists-Urged-Stay-Bang-t339767.html

#2 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by neosho on 17/2/2010 at 14:00

They already have his 76billion baht. On the 26th the court will deliver it's verdict on whether to keep it or give it back to him. The red shirts are planning on holding rallies all next week but have pledged that they will be peaceful. All sorts of rumors are being spread. The government is preparing but is trying to keep everything low key. You will probably see security checks next week especially in the government area of Bangkok. Up untill recently the reds had been calling it the "final battle" in it's bid to topple the government. They have kind of backed off that. I wouldn't worry to much unless it does turn violent then just try to avoid those areas. LOL I plan on drinking Leo as usual.

#3 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by Thaiman on 17/2/2010 at 14:40

I see they found an explosive device outside a court at the weekend and a grenade exploded at a University.All of it adds to the tension but it would'nt put me off.Just keep away from sensitive areas.

#4 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.