Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Lanta to the Perhentian Islands

• Kiah

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009

Hi All,

I'm off to Ko Lanta in a few days and from there I want to travel onwards to the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. I'm confused about the best route to take. I want to get there as quickly as possible and have been told that going back to Krabi is the best way? Has anyone done this journey before and can advise the best means of getting there (bus all the way? Bus and train?) Also is it possible to do in one day?

Thanks for any help!

#1 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 10:00

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Krabi takes you in the opposite direction. Trang is in the right direction and I have found travellers' services are as good in Trang as in Krabi any time.
    There are plenty of minibuses per day go from Lanta to Trang. They terminate opposite the railway station - walk into the adjacent travel agency (probably KK Travel) and book a ticket to the Perhentians. Now I'm not sure if this will be a minibus ticket to Sungai Kolok on the border - or right thru.
    But if you end up in Sungai Kolok, go thru to the Malaysian side and either catch a bus into Kota Bharu and then a bus to Kuala Besault (sp?), the pier for the Perhentian ferries/speedboats - OR (my preferred option - get a taxi direct to the pier (Malaysian taxis are very cheap and there may be some other travellers to share the cost).

Okay, you may find your accommodation on Lanta or a nearby small travel agent can do all this or at least get you to Sungai Kolok.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2010 - 14:02

• Kiah

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009

Thanks for your help Tezza, i did think going all the way back to Krabi was a little unnecessary!

#3 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 10:25

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Ditto what tezza says - no need to backtrack to Krabi. Go to Trang or Had Yai for connections. Sungai Kolok is the Thai/Malay border town on the east side. You can get there by train (from Hat Yai) or mini bus. Then you'll need to bus onward to Kota Bahru, overnight there, then get transit to the ferry point for the Perhentians the next day.

The Perhentians are gorgeous -- enjoy!

#4 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 15:33

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I'm not a great fan of the Perhentians. The guest houses/hotels have a captive audience and don't they know it and this ruined it for me. As you can tell I was left with a very bad taste in my mouth :(
    I personally wouldn't bother if you're only going for a few days, maybe not worth the effort.

Anyway, everyone has their own story to tell, that's mine. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Be aware around the Thai Malay border.

#5 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 04:48

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Sparts -- what in particular rubbed you the wrong way? It is true that you're pretty much a slave to your hotel while you're there -- their laundry, their boat tour, their restaurant. The food was mediocre and overpriced, but the water is crystal clear and full of hawksbill sea turtles!

#6 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 12:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Lanta: Island Tours around Ko Lanta and other nearby islands ... By susannakhana on 8 Jan 2007 0 1791 8 Jan 2007
Best way to Perhentian Islands ... By Carrelas on 2 Jun 2010 3 7631 18 Jun 2010
Perhentian Islands.. ... By jasonkim8486 on 25 Sep 2009 4 4121 26 Sep 2009
Perhentian Islands to Bangkok? ... By doidgeandpleach on 29 Apr 2013 7 2164 6 May 2013
how to get to perhentian islands from Krabi.... ... By aliclaredale on 14 Aug 2007 2 9925 16 Aug 2007
perhentian islands accomodation ... By Steve81 on 26 Jul 2010 0 2191 26 Jul 2010
Any experience with the Perhentian Islands? ... By caseyrebecca on 7 May 2008 7 7267 27 Jul 2009
Perhentian Islands - March ... By stever1000 on 6 Jan 2014 0 429 6 Jan 2014
from Perhentian Islands to Melaka ... By marie79 on 24 Feb 2010 2 4304 25 Feb 2010
From perhentian islands to taman negara ... By jonyd1 on 4 Mar 2012 5 4426 11 Mar 2012