Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Difficulty booking online with AirAsia...

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I have been trying to book a trip from BKK to Phnom Penh through the AirAsia website but it constantly rejects my debit card, which is issued by a well known UK bank. I have never had problems using this card previously.

In fact straight afterwards I used it online to pay for another flight on a different carrier.

I was tempted to try and pay for the flight on Airasia using a credit card in my fathers name (with permission of course!) but then i noticed that the conditions of carriage state that the card holder must fly and bring the card along with them to check in. How rigorously is this requirement enforced?

Also, has anyone encountered similar problems when trying to book with Airaisa?

Thanks in advance,
    M.

#1 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi M!

I'm pretty sure AirAsia only accept credit cards & direct debit. The latter might be a good option for you to avoid the whole credit card issue.

How do you intend to withdraw money when you're in Asia? Debit cards withdraw money directly from your bank account, I have the feeling some of them may not be accepted abroad. I think the only exceptions are debit cards with Maestro & (from memory) Visa Electron.

Does anyone have better informed details?

Thanks & good luck,
    FSH

#2 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 22:02

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

FWIW I've done numerous flights with Air Asia and Air Asia X and have never had to produce the credit card that I booked the ticket using at check-in. All I've ever presented is the electronic itinerary and my passport!

Also, I've never had an issue booking Air Asia flights with a credit card - never tried using my debit card. Is it Visa one?

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Mark.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 23:50

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Further to the above - that should have said "i've never had any problems booking Air Asia flights with a UK credit card"... D'oh! Friday afternoon syndrome!

#4 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 23:51

• EmjayReet

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2006
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

I have had a couple of issues with using the Air Asia website but it came down to my banks security. I had to phone my bank and get it reset so that I could use it. Just call your bank and check its not something from their end

I have never produced identification and the credit card ever on any Air Asia flight. As above only my passport and itinerary! You should be fine using your Dad's card if you need to!

#5 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 02:36

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Might be a blessing in diguise - you will probably spend more time on the ground waiting than actually in the air flying with them.

#6 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 21:06

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

No offence intended, but you are beginning to sound like a stuck record. We get it - you don't like Air Asia...

FWIW, I've had no issues with delays etc on any flight I have ever taken with them over the past few years and there has been quite a few. I did have a customer service issue with them on a recent Air Asia X flight which they dealt with very well and resolved more than to my satisfaction.

BTW, Air Asia latest punctuality figures (Dec 09) - 92% on time. Yes, issues happen, but there figures are improving and I'd wager the majority of travellers have no complaints.

#7 Posted: 20/2/2010 - 23:41

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have flown Air Asia several times over the last few months and they have never asked to see the credit card.

I have also had problems booking online using my Mastercard due to some new security thing that was introduced. I contacted my bank to sort it out once, but it didn't quite work out and I couldn't be bothered trying again. I carry a spare backup Visa card and this works on Air Asia fine.

#8 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 03:30

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I've take aroudn 10 Air Asia flights, the staff were excellent both in the air and on the ground, the planes were spotless and the fares reasonable to say the least. Every single flight went on time :)

#9 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 04:44

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

Sorry for the delay on checking back in on this thread. I have been away from my computer for the weekend. I appreciate all of your comments. I will call my bank on Monday morning and double check its not a problem at their end. If all else fails, then i can just apply for a credit card and do it that way. The only problem is that i had found some pretty cheap flights which may be gone by the time i get round to booking now. Grrr!

#10 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 06:05

• Advertisement

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I just tried to book again now and the payment was accepted. Perhaps I too was suffering from Friday afternoon syndrome last time I tried and miskeyed the card details or something, or perhaps there was a glitch in the website. No matter. I am now the proud puchaser of two flights. One from Bkk to Phnom Penh and the other Hanoi to Bkk. All for less than £100 (150USD). I am fairly happy with the result all things considered.

Thanks again for your input.

#11 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 06:46

• pfk98

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

AirAsiaX... be careful.

Most recently, my wife and I were stranded in Abu Dhabi when AirAsiaX announced they were canceling service to/from Abu Dhabi in January this year. They didn’t notify us(their stranded passengers)until Feb 10th. Neither did they offer any accommodation nor answer our emails asking for help. We had to get back to Malaysia on our own. They won’t reimburse our additional expenses either.

They said they would refund the Abu Dhabi/Kuala Lumpur portion of our trip, but it will take them 30-50 days to process the refund. Such an attitude!

Watch out for these guys. If you are considering using AirAsiaX, It might be a good idea to develop a plan B... just in case.

#12 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 13:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
AirAsia website booking problems? ... By grak88 on 27 May 2012 4 2472 19 Jun 2012
Booking Air Asia online ... By emmryss on 14 Dec 2007 9 19202 18 Feb 2009
KTM trains online booking ... By fox80 on 20 Feb 2011 2 34260 24 Feb 2011
Online ferry booking? ... By shakester on 17 Nov 2008 1 2377 26 Nov 2008
Lao Airlines online booking ... By daawgon on 7 Apr 2012 2 1572 26 Apr 2012
Booking train to Chiang Mai online ... By erinj on 3 Aug 2007 6 3550 12 Aug 2007
online booking of hostel or hotel ... By Bello on 23 May 2007 11 2255 5 Jun 2007
online train ticket booking ... By alex82 on 23 May 2013 6 1784 25 May 2013
Help booking train from Jakarta to Yogyakarta online ... By Shoshana on 14 Jun 2014 3 500 17 Jun 2014
Booking hostels online and airport pickup ... By Pokol on 29 Sep 2009 12 2935 14 Mar 2010