Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

why dol i get very little help /replies?

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

i know i ask many many questions and my spellin,punctuation and grammer may make it hards to follow the poiunts im tryingb to make but i always do so in a friendly and polite masnner yet i seem to get very little in the way of replies in coparison to other peoples threads.

i try my best to answer other poeoles questions to the best of my knowledge.

can you please advbise me on how to get the most out of the forum please?

#1 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 02:07

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

It can be kind of "hit or miss." It's a free online community so no one is obligated to post/answer anything ever, including Somtam (although he does a hell of a job of paying attention to the forums; I think he's traveling right now so may not be around as much at the moment). I for one try to log on every couple days and I'll help out in any way I can but I only look at the forum posts on the homepage so for the posts that slip off the homepage quickly I never look at them. And sometimes I can't log on for a week or longer.. And for people looking for itinerary advice that can be consuming. I often find myself turning into a "travel agent" and start offering all kinds of specific advice. For that reason I don't answer itinerary questions unless I've really got nothing to do at that time.

But try to be as specific and clear as possible with your questions. If I see a post asking questions that are very broad, confusing or non-specific or ones that don't make a lot of sense, I usually don't attempt to answer them.

Also I constantly see different people asking the same questions over and over again. It's best to look around in the old posts for answers before asking questions. Especially in the realm of visas, the same questions get answered over and over again. So for the people who have been posting for a while it gets boring to answer the same questions once a month. (Note that I'm not saying these things directly to you but in general).

#2 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 04:35

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

#3 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 16:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@ceedee1 I'm not answerting much at the moment as I'm travelling in Laos at the moment, but most of the links you have posted above already have a bunch of answers on them, so I'm not sure what you mean about questions not being answered...

#4 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 17:34

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

@somtam2000

happy travels - i hope your having a great time :)

with regards to 'heaps of replies' i wouldndt exactly call 1 0r 2 answers a 'heap' of replies and my trang/krabi thread http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9461_best-places-for-me-near-trang-krabi has not ONE single reply on it!:(

as for the others they are very vague.

can yuou noyt sort out a private message system on this website/forum as i came here looking for info thinking it was the holy grail for travel advice.....ive already exhausted/driven to the brink of suicide tezza with my mass of questions.

*off topic- im currently listening to gree day - basket case....very apt hehe :D

THANKS EVERYBODY.

my real problem is i want exdact answers to exact questions.

ps. about time you installed a private message option ;)

#5 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 17:59

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

You've gotten much better than you've given.

#6 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 22:26

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

@somsai

do you have anything positive to add in regards to my many questions?

ID DO WELL TO CHECK THE OTHER FORUMS BEFORE MKING ASSUMPTIONS. :)

chohkdee ;)

#7 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 00:10

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Yes, I have something positive to add to your question on this thread.

Don't shout, all caps is considered rude. Use puctuation, including capitals, correct basic typos. The way you pose a question relfects how much respect you hold for the people who read it.

I took a quick look at the Thai section before replying the first time, but I have a very limited amount of time to respond to threads, so I pick and choose which ones. I'd assume others do the same. Where I come from we say sok dee.

#8 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 00:29

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

ok sorry the caps were a mistake,i sometimes knock the caps button without realising it and then dont want to have to go back and re-write it all.

believe me its got nothing to do with the amount of respect i have for you.

and with regards to my spelling,grammer and punctuation,i have made previous apologies.

thanks for your time :)

#9 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 13:31

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

the reason can also be that you are asking about the places that are not too much on te beaten path (Ko Kradan)

and the style of your posts is not too friendly, sometimes prickly replies to those who are responding

#10 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 21:55

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Ceedee
    I haven't answered because you haven't asked any questions in areas I am intimate with.

I agree that it's hit or miss - but you are clearly not being ignored.

#11 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 01:58

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

@ MADMAC

thanks for your non judgemental and friendly reply. :)

maybe you could help me with some of these?

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9401_ko-lipe

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9365_accommodation-on-ko-kradan

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9461_best-places-for-me-near-trang-krabi

and i know you dont like commenting on itineraries but.......

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/9332_3-weeks-in-april---itinerary---help-advice--wanted-please-

thanks in advance :)

if not then.... mai pen rai ;)

#12 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 02:32

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

"can you please advbise me on how to get the most out of the forum please?"

Be patient.
    Be clear.
    Be polite.

Just a thought (or three).

#13 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 10:38

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

"can you please advbise me on how to get the most out of the forum please?"

Be patient.
    Be clear.
    Be polite.

Just a thought (or three).

#14 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 10:38

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

@Archmichael

advice taken.

#15 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 05:23

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Ceedee1:

No problem.

Happy Travels!

(PS: sorry about the double replies earlier.)

#16 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 05:27

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

One contributing factor cee may be that you post on several forums - quite a lot of us do too, have seen your posts, answered them and so don't hit you with the same stuff here.
    BTW - you aint driven me mad - the idea is to help people, if that drives anyone mad they should go abuse backpackers on TOA.

#17 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 19:30

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

tezza #1

B-)

#18 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 01:01

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

congrats on all of the replies you've had from this post :P

#19 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 09:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Cedee
    Because I live here, and don't like beaches or the ocean, my answers tend towards the cultural and specific questions about Isaan, where I live. I couldn't advice an eskimo about the beaches here. I don't know squat about them except what I've heard. I have been to Pattaya once, with my wife. Other than that, the furthest south I have ever travelled is Bangkok. Because I am a retired Army officer with some specialized background in militant Islamic activity, I am well versed on the conflict in the south of Thailand. I am very famliar with Isaan and what it's like. None of your questions were in the areas with which I have any competence. Hence I didn't answer them.

#20 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 10:56

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

MADMAC - mai pen rai ;)

its ok you've been friendly in your replies,even if you cant advise on where im planning on travelling.

with 4 weeks to go my heads thinking koh kradan,koh lipe and then wherever me feet,boat,wheels take me :)

just not sure yet where im going to spend songkran? all depends what mood im feelin at the time i suppose,i was in bangkok last year,snaook maak maak but not sure if i want the madness again or a chilled island to escape it...

btw would love to visit isan one day,have friends in roi-et,udon thani,ubon-ratchathani amonst other places :P

#21 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 16:27

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

FAO : ADMIN

can you not install an 'edit' or 'delete' option?

#22 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 16:29

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

shaydan_01

im not sure if your being sarcastic or not?..... but....thanks anyway :)

#23 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 18:38

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

This is meant as constructive feedback but I think the main reason is you seem so incredibly incesisive even when it comes to choosing a beach for just a few days. You got TONS of help and advice about dozens of beaches late last year on the LP Thorn Tree forum and then came over here to Travelfish with the same questions. In the end you went to Ko Jum and didn't like it (can I say I told you so? I did.) complaining the water wasn't clear or something like that (when your initial posts asked for clear swimming beach and crystal white sand). At some point people want to feel their advice is at least listened to and worth the time and effort. I kinda gave up on helping you a few months ago. Sorry no offense intended but you asked why ;-)

#24 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 20:01

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

@ captain bob

"This is meant as constructive feedback but I think the main reason is you seem so incredibly incesisive even when it comes to choosing a beach for just a few days. You got TONS of help and advice about dozens of beaches late last year on the LP Thorn Tree forum and then came over here to Travelfish with the same questions. In the end you went to Ko Jum and didn't like it (can I say I told you so? I did.) complaining the water wasn't clear or something like that (when your initial posts asked for clear swimming beach and crystal white sand). At some point people want to feel their advice is at least listened to and worth the time and effort. I kinda gave up on helping you a few months ago. Sorry no offense intended but you asked why ;-)"

im sorry i do listen to peoples advice especially yours as ive went out my way to thank you in previous threads,im very sorry if you feel you hhve been ignored but you havent.
    '
    please continue to help me out with advice?

#25 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 20:26

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

Probably a bit silly, but not sarcastic. But the congratulations is sincere!

#26 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 04:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.