Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

10 day in Thailand - what island do you reccommend?

• daricaletka

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Guys,

i will have only 10 days to spend in thailand, I would like to go to island, just to chill out, beautiful beaches and nature, perhaps some detox program, not to much party....from all those island which one shall I pick up and how do i get there from Chiang Mia?

Many thanks for your advice in advance

#1 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 00:46

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

does the 10 days include the time you want to spend in Chiang Mai too?

anyway, given the short time you've got, consider Ko Samui as an option. the island has quite a bit of variety for every taste, and there is a decent detox program at Spa Samui on the northern end of Lamai Beach. from Chiang Mai, i'd either fly the entire way (probably having to change planes in BKK) or take the overnight train from Chiang Mai to BKK and then fly the rest. you can either fly directly to Samui on Bangkok Airways or you can fly to nearby Surat Thani on Air Asia or Thai and then take the bus/ferry combo to the island. if you've got the budget for it, given the short amount of time, i'd just fly.

another option for folks with only a few days available is Ko Samet. it is about a 3 to 4 hour bus ride plus a short ferry boat trip from Bangkok, and while not the most amazing of beach/island options, still pretty amazing given how close it is to the city. try to go mid week to beat the crowds. regards.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 01:27

• daricaletka

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

thank you! I was more leaning towards Koh Phanang or Koh Lanta, those 10 days dont include Chiang Mai. I dont want very turistic place and really nice beaches:-) that is essential! Thanks

#3 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 01:34

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if you've got 10 days for the island portion, then Ko Phanang is a good choice. you can fly into Surat Thani and catch a bus/ferry combo directly from the airport. or get ideas on how to get there from this feature article: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/57

there is also a recommended detox place on Ko Phanang mentioned in this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/5

be sure to check the dates so that you won't be visiting Phanang during the full moon party, unless that is what you are looking for. have fun.

#4 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 03:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I dont want very turistic place and really nice beaches:-)"

Generally speaking, the nicer the beach, the more tourists there are.

#5 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 18:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.