Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

New 'proof of cash' requirement to enter Thailand - or is it?

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have just received a travel news article that has indicated that as of 19 Feb, tourists must carry a minimum of 10,000 baht when they arrive in Thailand.

I did a quick google search for more info (very slow and limited as I am on dial-up! argh!) - and only came across a discussion on Thaivisa.com, which suggests that this may be an old, legacy requirement rarely enforced. So I'm not so sure but just thought I'd raise it here for discussion.

As per the original post on thaivisa.com, the requirements are:

"We have been informed by Immigration Department, Bangkok that to be in line with the regulation imposed by the Ministry of Interior, Kingdom of Thailand, with immediate effect, all passengers arriving in Thailand must have sufficient funds as follows to show at the immigration before entry is permitted.

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
    2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
    3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
    4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The above funds may be held in any permitted currency.Kindly adhere to the above as insufficient funds on arrival could result in refusal to enter Thailand."
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Requirements-Enter-Thailand-t340437.html

What do others know?

#1 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 03:33

• Advertisement

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Well busylizzy, the thaivisa discussion brings up a couple of salient points and, in the end, the whole thing looks pretty well meaningless to me.

One reason is that most tourists probably won't even have a visa, they'll have a 15 or 30 day visa free period. The apparently 'new' regulations don't seem to cover that.

Another reason is that surely if you've got an ATM or credit card you've probably got the money.

I don't actually know anything (!), but I certainly wouldn't be losing any sleep over this one.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 06:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if memory serves, this isn't exactly an entirely new regulation. the thai consulate in los angeles, for example, requires that visa applicants from some countries submit proof of funds (bank statement or such) with their visa applications, although they do not require US passport holders to do this.

i think the key in the link from lizzy's post above is the phrase "at the immigration officer's discretion", so that thai officials will have just one more tool available to keep out certain folks. i agree with fondo that this won't really be an issue for the vast majority of independent travellers, although it might be a good enough reason to wear something a bit nicer when crossing the border! cheers.

#3 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 08:11

• Risha

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

These are definitely not new regulations. Proof of cash upon entry in Thailand is as old as the donut. It all depends on the immigration officer whether or not they are actually going to ask - which is extremely rare.

#4 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 14:55

• mullup

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2005

If you rock up to immigration looking like a down and out... expect to be asked.

CC would suffice in this otherwise extraordinary event.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 20:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.