Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Honeymoon June/July in Thailand or Malaysia?

• maribsa

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

We are getting married June 19th and are planning a honeymoon to South East Asia. We have 3, perhaps 4 weeks to spend. We want a relaxing holiday, so we don't wanna try to see it all, but hope to do the following:
    1. A week at a beautiful beach (good snorkling important)
    2. Trekking/adventure in national park/jungle
    3. Ankor Wat (dreamt of it since I was little..) and perhaps other historic/cultural places

First we thought Southern Gulf Islands (Ko Tao or Samui), Chiang Mai and Siem Reap, but distances are long, and we consider skipping Chiang Mai and go to for instance Khao Sok instead.

But, because of the rainy season we now consider going to Malaysia instead of Thailand - Perhentians or Tioman, and Taman Negara. And AirAsia KL - Siem Reap. But this will probably be more expensive, flights from home to Bangkok are cheaper than to KL and I've heard Malaysia is generally more expensive than Thailand.

Any opinions or alternative ideas will be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 22:55

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a Tioman fan - Panuba Inn has your ask on a budget thru to lower midrange price level - Paya Beach will do the same more upmarket.
    Tioman has also got some pretty good trekking thru the rainforest/over the hills between the beaches.

But note that the southern Gulf islands have the same climatic pattern as Tioman/Perhentians - wet season normally doesn't kick in until Oct.
    Out of Samui/Phangan/Tao, the latter has the best snorkelling - for good snorkelling off the sand, outstanding views and a flashpacker-midrange standard google Ko Nangyuan Dive Resort (non-divers welcome).

#2 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 19:52

• maribsa

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks for your advice! So weather shouldn't be the decisive factor when deciding between the beach destinations then.

But what about Khao Sok? Anybody been there in July? Toooo wet? And does anybody think we'll make a fundamental error by skipping northern Thailand?

#3 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 04:40

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, Khao Sok. Well it does stay open wet season, but the highest part of the isthmus does catch a lot of rain that time of year.
    Going is up to you - but if you take the Lake Trip, maybe stay away from the cave walk - some travellers were caught by a flash flood after a storm several wet seasons back and a lot of them didn't make it.

Can't help you on north Thailand - except as a weather nerd I know it is normally not as wet as further south. Me, if I wanted to see it that time of year, I would.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 14:28

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Thailand has the "Sanook" thing going (concept of fun, playfulness) whereas Malaysia IMHO is missing out. Whenever I go down to Malaysia and come back to Thailand, even right at the border the Sanook vibe returns - people smile and relax more than their too-serious southern cousins.

June is a fine time to come up north to Chiang Mai and vicinity. Just be sure to get out of the city to somewhere like Chiang Dao or Thaton or Mae Hong Son . I recommend a couple nights at Chiang Dao Nest http://nest.chiangdao.com about 70km north of Chiang Mai. Or if you head out to Pai and Mae Hong Son stop in between at the small town of Soppong which has the superb Cave Lodge http://cavelodge.com. I was just there a couple weeks ago and would go back longer next time. Nice bungalows tucked into a hillside overlooking a small river, and a huge hanging-out space with good food and peaceful vibe.

Khao Sok NP is also excellent, but bring your umbrella it's just about the wettest spot in Thailand which is why it's so lush and green. The park headquarters at the park entrance has trekking guides for hire, and you'd want to spend at least a day or two out on the lake, preferably sleeping in one of the floating raft huts. Google "Tone Toey Khao Sok" for more info. Also check out Art's Riverview Lodge http://krabidir.com/artsriverviewlodge/index.htm.

With 4 weeks I'd do something like fly bangkok to Siem Reap, spend a few days at Angkor, then fly to Surat Thani via Bangkok and hit Ko Phangan or Ko Samui for a week then boat back to the mainland and a few days at Khao Sok with at least one night near the park entrance and on the lake, then come up to Chiang Mai and the far north for a full week.

#5 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 16:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam, Thailand & Malaysia June/July - Sep 2010 ... By mynamesmike on 14 Mar 2010 4 2944 27 Sep 2010
Looking for Thailand/Malaysia/Bali travel buddies June/July 2013 ... By islandtravels on 21 May 2013 5 1599 13 Jul 2013
Honeymoon Gulf of Thailand May or June/ ... By skittles_2203 on 30 Dec 2009 5 2790 31 Dec 2009
Honeymoon in Thailand & Cambodia in June ... By mfree on 4 Feb 2010 5 2645 13 Feb 2010
SE Asia June 25 thru July, departing August 3/4. Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos ... By starlitdazzle on 26 May 2009 1 3453 5 Jul 2010
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in June ... By eline on 12 Apr 2010 20 3205 9 Jun 2010
Thailand from 24th of June until 16th of July ... By matjizzle on 11 May 2010 4 3012 11 May 2010
Thailand June/July--a monumental error? ... By jcampbell3 on 4 Apr 2007 5 78232 19 Apr 2007
Thailand for 2 weeks in May/June/July 2013 ... By lisanolan2204 on 10 Aug 2012 5 4051 21 Aug 2012
Thailand, islands, and Cambodia June/July 09 ... By jazzabelle on 31 Mar 2009 6 4628 14 May 2009