Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cookery courses NOT in Chiang Mai

• Seonach

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2010

Hi everyone, it's my first post, so here goes!!

I have four weeks in Thailand this summer; planning a few days in Bangkok, Ko Phi Phi, and Khao Sok National Park, and not sure after that. I'd like to do a cookery course but it seems like you can only do them in Chiang Mai ; I'm reluctant to make the trek up to Chiang Mai as it seems the principal reason to do so is to go trekking to the hill tribes, which really doesn't appeal to me. Is there anywhere down south to do a good cookery course, or am I wrong about Chiang Mai? I just think I'd feel very uncomfortable walking through villages just to look at the people!

#1 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 07:52

• Advertisement

• chefjpf

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2010

hello, check out the blue elephant restaurant and cooking school in bk. cheers jo

#2 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 08:48

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I saw this vegetarian/vegan school last time I was in Bangkok. It's quite close to Banglamphoo in the Samsen District along Thanon Samsen on the river side of the street.

May Kaidee's Vegetarian and Vegan Cooking School

Definitely no need to go to Chiangmai. Cooking schools are all over the place.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 02:22

• Seonach

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2010

Thank you both, that's very helpful!

#4 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 06:17

• mullup

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2005

These two are quite good;

http://www.bangkokthaicooking.com/

http://www.maykaidee.com/site/cooking-school

Google them to find recent reviews.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 20:51

• rrose

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2010

Hi-
    You might also be interested in classes offered in Nonthaburi by Khun Pip of Thai House: http://www.thaihouse.co.th/ I took a 3 day course years ago and thought it excellent, plus a nice getaway from Bangkok- it's upriver by about an hour and you go by boat, which is a great way to start a culinary adventure. Their accommodations are in a lovely reconstructed group of teak houses arranged around a deck, in traditional Thai style. Nonthaburi used to be a community of canals and you can take a boat and explore the local 'roads' and see how folks lived in a previous era. Oh, and the food you will be cooking is also delicious! Khun Pip is lovely and gives a great market tour to start the class.

#6 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 00:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best Thai Cookery schools/courses in Chiang Mai? ... By Jozudave on 17 Oct 2009 0 1146 17 Oct 2009
Intermediate/Advanced Cookery courses ... By turbot on 9 Nov 2012 2 1509 9 Nov 2012
Chiang Mai cookery schools ... By kriskeogh on 16 Feb 2012 1 825 17 Feb 2012
Massage courses in Chiang Mai, ... By trickythefirst on 23 May 2007 2 3289 4 May 2012