Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Your choice of hotel in Bangkok would be?

• TravelAddic-
    tBaby

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2010

Hey Guys,

I'm staying in Bangkok for 4 days, in April, with a full diary for what to do while I am there. However, when I am relaxing and sleeping, I'd like to stay in a nice hotel.

If you could recommend somewhere, then I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts.

Just so you know, what I mean by nice, would be as follows:

Modern, fresh, trendy, spacious, clean and tidy.
    Great service, hospitable with that "nothing is too much" attitude.
    Great view, balcony with a hotel pool.
    Good breakfast.
    Hotel safe, security, etc.

It's not essential that I pay over the odds, on elegance and unnecessary frills and opulence. I'm a normal human being, after all, not a mythical Prince. A fair price for good quality accommodation is expected.

Somewhere central would be good, and somewhere that is a chosen hotel for many of the trip collections (i.e. Kwai, Temples, etc.) as I understand some hotels are not on the list for some of these trips to pick you up from.

I hope this is enough info for anyone to give me an appropriate and suited recommendation.

I appreciate your time.

Many thanks indeed,
    YourWorldFriend, the Brit

#1 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 09:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Park Avenue on Sukhimvite soi 22. But it will cost you.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 11:18

• mullup

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2005

Lebua (state tower) comfortable, service minded, handy to BTS.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 20:53

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"Modern, fresh, trendy, spacious, clean and tidy.
    Great service, hospitable with that "nothing is too much" attitude.
    Great view, balcony with a hotel pool.
    Good breakfast.
    Hotel safe, security, etc."

Do you have a price range for this hotel? In Bangkok you can get a room with air starting around 600 baht going up to over 6000 baht per night for something more luxurious. For me, being an old fart on a retirement budget, I am only interested in places in Bangkok that are reasonably clean looking, have fresh linen, cable TV, hot water, safety box and A/C at around 600-700 baht level. Anything else is not necessary - but that is me!

One thing I would advise is to get a hotel near the Skytrain route. The Skytrain can take you to many places in Bangkok real easy. The Skytrain can also connect you with the subway at Asok and the bus station at Ekamai. The subway can bring you to the national train station.

http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

I like the Sukhumvit area because it is easy to walk to many places like good restaurants, travel agencies for tours, malls, street vendors, nightlife and best of all the Skytrain stops.

Check out the Landmark, the Marriott and the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit. Breakfast is one of the cheapest meals you can buy in Thailand. The "world famous" Foodland Supermarket on Soi 5, Took Lae Dee Restaurant, has breakfast for around 68 baht! (Amari Boulevard Hotel is almost across the street from this hotel. The Fortuna Hotel is just after this Foodland Supermarket and has an "all you can eat" breakfast buffet for only 139 baht.)
    http://www.amari.com/Boulevard/
    http://www.fortunabangkok.com/

Luxury hotel link.
    http://www.bangkok.com/hotels/5-star-hotels.html

So, what is your price range for this hotel with a "great view and a balcony" too?

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 21:19

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

I will be in Bangkok tomorrow.
    Can anyone recommend a hotel.
    I think I would prefer to max out at 20 bucks.
    Any one heard of the roof top view hotel???
    Other wise I go to Na Na hotel on Sukumvit 4 for 50 bucks a day.
    Thanks, Emery

#5 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 15:06

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"I will be in Bangkok tomorrow.
    Can anyone recommend a hotel.
    I think I would prefer to max out at 20 bucks."

++++++

Big jump from $20 to $50 per night! You could go halfway and still be not too far from most of the nightlife on Sukhumvit.

Happy Inn on Sukhumvit Soi 4 (between Nana and Ibis, near the connecting road to soi 6) is 600 baht. For 600 baht you get a room with air, HW, private toilet and shower and TV with poor choices. Internet shop on bottom floor. Rooms look better than what the outside of the building may suggest.

This link has several hotels in the Nana area, most are not far from the Skytrain, Nana Entertainment Plaza, etc. Orchid group hotels.
    http://www.staywithorchid.com/

Swan Inn 2 is also on Soi 4. Address: 73/4 Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Other side of Sukhumvit Road you have the Fortuna Hotel on Soi 5. Good location because it is near the Foodland Supermarket where you can get some cheap eats 24 hour a day. Fortuna also has an "all you can eat" morning buffet that is even open to the public. Price is 139 baht for the buffet, think it is still free if you stay there.
    http://www.fortunabangkok.com/

On Soi 7, not far from the Beer Garden. Maxim's Inn.
    http://www.maximinn.com/contact.html

Other places available only slightly more than your $20 bucks if you take the time to look for them after you book one night somewhere.

Good luck.

#6 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 10:54

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

sirhalberd,

I am retired and on the proverbial "fixed income" pension.
    The places you sent to me are now all inflated like the Hotel Na Na.
    I do appreciate your response.

Emery

#7 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 15:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Honey House on soi 22. She's a tired old girl, but she has character.

#8 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 18:46

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The Hosteling International place on Suk Soi 38 isn pretty good. AC room with shared bath starts at 600B... en suites are around 1,200. No pool, but free AC, a couple minutes to the BTS, and I always meet tons of people there (from 16 -- 60).

#9 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 18:56

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

Any one heard of the roof top view hotel???

you mean Roof View Place in Banglamphu? My mom just stayed there a couple of weeks ago and reported that it was very good: sparkling clean, safe, friendly, and a relative bargain at 650THB for a/c ensuite single, breakfast included. http://www.roofviewplace.com/

#10 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 00:16

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

"I am retired and on the proverbial "fixed income" pension.
    The places you sent to me are now all inflated like the Hotel Na Na.
    I do appreciate your response."

A hotel that is normally 600 to 800 baht is not going to inflate up to the same price as the Nana Hotel! I paid 600 baht around a month ago for the Happy Inn. Paid the same price last year too! I checked a couple of the hotels from the Orchid Group and the prices walking in were as advertised 5 weeks ago. If the price was to "really" inflate they would have done it closer to the Christmas-New Years holidays. Most cheap hotels in this range only raise their prices around 100 baht except maybe for Christmas and New Years days where the price might be 200 baht more.

Take the time when you are in Bangkok to walk to some of these places and ask about their prices in person. Also ask about booking by email without any credit card. Then you will be set up for your next trip to Thailand. By the way, I am retired also, my budget only allows for rooms 400-500 baht in Pattaya and 600 to 700 baht Bangkok. (All with air, hot water, private toilet and shower, TV, etc.)

#11 Posted: 28/3/2010 - 20:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 choice of hote in Bangkok, which one should i book? ... By franks2k on 7 Dec 2012 3 1647 10 Dec 2012