Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok for a whole week or head out of town for a few nights?

• markacino

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010
    Location Australia

Hey all,

I will be in Bangkok for 6-7 nights this coming April with my girlfriend. Whilst we are excited to see the city as we have never been, we have heard very mixed thoughts about it and many tell us we will be over it in a couple of days. We are not overly into the 'party scene' or shopping.

I was thinking of perhaps splitting our time in that region up by spending a few nights in Kanchanaburi for example. I have heard nothing but good points about the area and believe there are some good things to see. (Bridge over river Kwai, tiger temple, Erawan falls etc)

Is there any other nearby places people would recommend during our week around Bangkok. ie. would Ayuthaya be worth an overnight visit?

THanks for any thoughts/advice.

#1 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey mark,

kanchanaburi is a great short trip out of bangkok and most folks definitely enjoy a stop there. the tiger temple doesn't get good recommendations on this site but the other spots you mentioned do. take the train for a particularly romantic trip.

ayutthaya is pretty fantastic as well, and easily worth an overnight. i particularly enjoy the ancient temples there when they are all lit up at night. worth a look.

another popular spot close to bangkok is ko samet, about a 3-4 hour trip by bus/ferry. samet is definitely better mid week, as it can get crowded on the weekend.

one thing to keep in mind is that the thai new year/songkran holiday is usually around april 13 through 15. it is a big, several day long water fight wild party. if your visit to thailand is during that time, transportation and accommodation can be completely booked out, and the water play will find you wherever you are, so you'll need to plan accordingly. have fun. cheers.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 13:00

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

If you can extend yourself beyond the stereotypes of Bangkok you'll find there are plenty of things to do. What you want to do, you can do. I like to finish off an SEA trip with at least 4 nights in BKK and always want more!

Having said that Kanchanaburi, especially if you're an Australian with a personal/family/cultural interest in Hellfire Pass etc, is an interesting break within easy distance.

The falls might be a bit flat in April. The Tiger Temple is controversial - research to see if it's what you like.

Ayutthaya is also close and worth the visit for a wat or two.

#3 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 15:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Bangkok has EVERYTHING. What do you like to do?

#4 Posted: 24/2/2010 - 18:02

• deliverusma-
    ud

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

Oh God please don't do what I do and book/pay for a hotel for 5 days then get stuck in Bangkok!!! Bangkok is only OK and for me, I think 2 days/nights would have been enough. I would maybe stretch to 3 and take a day trip to Koh Kret - that was a nice trip (a nice little island you can wander round, people selling food and trinkets...). I would spend another 2 days in Kanchanaburi (but again a day trip is enough). I would also recommend Ayutthaya as a day trip (which I did). Otherwise I would throw in a cooking school (if that's your thing). I went to one in Chiang Mai but maybe you could find recommendations from others for schools in Central Thailand.

Have a good trip!

#5 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 22:22

• markacino

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010
    Location Australia

Yeah have ended up booking a few night Bangkok, heading out to Kanchanburi for a few more, and am planning on spending 1 night in Ayyuthaya.

Thanks for your comments everyone @

#6 Posted: 27/3/2010 - 07:36

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

There are always lots of things to see and do in BKK. But it is easy to get out of BKK and see other things... a train/bus to Kanchanaburi is a great idea - easy to have a great time for 2 or 3 days there... lots to do even if you miss the tiger temple.
    Ayuttaya is definitely worth doing as an overnight trip rather than a rushed day trip. I love it and never tire of it... again easy to get to on the train or bus. Those options will easily break up the BKK time and you will see a few differnt sides to Thailand rather than just BKK.

#7 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 11:10

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You could easily fill a week with Bangkok alone, but a change from the city is always nice. Ayuthaya and Kanchanaburi make for easy and interesting day trips.

H

#8 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 17:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.