Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Ko Chang - stopover ideas?

Posted by smellel on 25/2/2010 at 12:18

Hi all,

We’re am travelling from Bangkok to Cambodia (leaving 9th March) and would like to stop at Ko Chang for some beach time.

We are just getting back into the swing of backpacking again so I’m not sure we’re keen on doing the 5 hour bus journey in one day. (And we also feel like we might be missing something travelling so far in 1 day.)

Is there anywhere worthwhile stopping on the direct route to Trat/Ko Chang, or are we better perhaps going via Ko Samet ?

Going via Ko Samet was our original plan, but with the boat and then bus via Ban Phe looks like will take up to 4hrs anyway and then have less time relaxing in Ko Chang.

thanks in advance for your help!

el
:)

#1 smellel has been a member since 16/12/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by tezza on 25/2/2010 at 19:25

Well I'm doing Bangkok - Samet - Chang in a few weeks. Bangkok - Samet is more like 3 hours, but what the hell.
An alternative - Pattaya aint as bad as some poeple paint it - good for a few days. And apparently Ko Larn off Pattaya is a bit of an unknown jewel. I planned to do that one this coming trip, but not enough time.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 26/2/2010 at 04:07

Hi El,

Chanthaburi is a nice town. It's only an hour from Trat . You sometimes have to switch buses there when en route to Trat.

And Trat is a great spot to spend a night or two. Charming place with an excellent night market.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by exacto on 26/2/2010 at 07:41

Samet and Pattaya are good choices, but since you are going to Ko Chang anyway, I'd just suck up the bus ride and go all the way to Trat . Like Tilapia says, it is a charming town and an great spot to spend a night or two. Good variety of accommodation, a few solid restaurants, and laid-back night spots.

If you just can't bear the 5-hour bus ride, you could always look into flying from BKK to Trat on Bangkok Airways. It won't be cheap, but it is at least another option. Have fun. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by khunwilko on 27/2/2010 at 09:31

Pattaya and Samed have already been mentioned.

If you want one night by a beach with relatively few farangs then I would suggest Laem Sadet or Laem Sing - they are really quite nice beaches - not "paradise" standard but during the week will be practically empty - holidays and week-ends will see crowds of Thai people there.

there are in fact loads of places along that routs which are more or less ignored by those in their rush to ruin poor old Koh Chang.

You might want to look at Khao Chamao National park and waterfall - camping and cabins - good waterfall

#5 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by smellel on 2/3/2010 at 06:14

Thank-you all for the responses,

khunwilko, is Khao Chamao National park practical to get to without your own transport?

Can anyone recommend some good accom for Trat or Ko Chang ? At first I was going to say we would spend up to B1000 for a room, but looking at the accom listed on travelfish for Trat this seems wildly expensive..

On Ko Chang it looks like this might be more reasonable...

Basically, like I said above, we've been away from backpacking for a while and (as we're on a long trip) would like to ease ourselves back into it with some nice aircon rooms and no risk of bed bugs (I always seem to be the one who gets bitten!)

thanks!
el
:)

#6 smellel has been a member since 16/12/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by khunwilko on 2/3/2010 at 15:57

in short I would say YES - it is about 20 km off the main road to Trat and there must be some Song teaws going up there - I would check the national park web site - they normally have info like that.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=108&lg=2

#7 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by khunwilko on 2/3/2010 at 15:58

trnsport details....

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/location.asp

#8 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.