Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Ko Chang - stopover ideas?

• smellel

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

Hi all,

We’re am travelling from Bangkok to Cambodia (leaving 9th March) and would like to stop at Ko Chang for some beach time.

We are just getting back into the swing of backpacking again so I’m not sure we’re keen on doing the 5 hour bus journey in one day. (And we also feel like we might be missing something travelling so far in 1 day.)

Is there anywhere worthwhile stopping on the direct route to Trat/Ko Chang, or are we better perhaps going via Ko Samet ?

Going via Ko Samet was our original plan, but with the boat and then bus via Ban Phe looks like will take up to 4hrs anyway and then have less time relaxing in Ko Chang.

thanks in advance for your help!

el
    :)

#1 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 12:18

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Well I'm doing Bangkok - Samet - Chang in a few weeks. Bangkok - Samet is more like 3 hours, but what the hell.
    An alternative - Pattaya aint as bad as some poeple paint it - good for a few days. And apparently Ko Larn off Pattaya is a bit of an unknown jewel. I planned to do that one this coming trip, but not enough time.

#2 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 19:25

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi El,

Chanthaburi is a nice town. It's only an hour from Trat . You sometimes have to switch buses there when en route to Trat.

And Trat is a great spot to spend a night or two. Charming place with an excellent night market.

#3 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 04:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Samet and Pattaya are good choices, but since you are going to Ko Chang anyway, I'd just suck up the bus ride and go all the way to Trat . Like Tilapia says, it is a charming town and an great spot to spend a night or two. Good variety of accommodation, a few solid restaurants, and laid-back night spots.

If you just can't bear the 5-hour bus ride, you could always look into flying from BKK to Trat on Bangkok Airways. It won't be cheap, but it is at least another option. Have fun. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2010 - 07:41

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

Pattaya and Samed have already been mentioned.

If you want one night by a beach with relatively few farangs then I would suggest Laem Sadet or Laem Sing - they are really quite nice beaches - not "paradise" standard but during the week will be practically empty - holidays and week-ends will see crowds of Thai people there.

there are in fact loads of places along that routs which are more or less ignored by those in their rush to ruin poor old Koh Chang.

You might want to look at Khao Chamao National park and waterfall - camping and cabins - good waterfall

#5 Posted: 27/2/2010 - 09:31

• smellel

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

Thank-you all for the responses,

khunwilko, is Khao Chamao National park practical to get to without your own transport?

Can anyone recommend some good accom for Trat or Ko Chang ? At first I was going to say we would spend up to B1000 for a room, but looking at the accom listed on travelfish for Trat this seems wildly expensive..

On Ko Chang it looks like this might be more reasonable...

Basically, like I said above, we've been away from backpacking for a while and (as we're on a long trip) would like to ease ourselves back into it with some nice aircon rooms and no risk of bed bugs (I always seem to be the one who gets bitten!)

thanks!
    el
    :)

#6 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 06:14

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

in short I would say YES - it is about 20 km off the main road to Trat and there must be some Song teaws going up there - I would check the national park web site - they normally have info like that.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=108&lg=2

#7 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 15:57

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

#8 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 15:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Stopover in Seoul en route to Bangkok? ... By exacto on 9 Feb 2009 7 7740 11 Mar 2012
ideas on mid price accomodation on Koh Chang - Dec/Jan ... By regan on 13 Sep 2006 1 1536 14 Sep 2006