Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi and Railay - places to stay on a budget

• Worldtravel-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

We're heading to Krabi on Sunday and have 5 days in the area. We'd really like to head to Railay but are finding it hard to find accommodation which is cheap and doesn't sound pretty nasty. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stay?

If anyone has any other suggestions of where to go in the 5 days I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 15:06

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Railay aint all that cheap these days.
    On the beach at east Railay is old reliable (?) Ya Ya but I hope they have lifted there game from last time I stayed.
    A bit further along is Rapala Rock Wood - this is up some stairs next to Viewpoint. I believe Viewpoint still have a few old style cheaper bungalows up the back as does Diamond Cave Resort - but maybe they aint all that cheap these days.
    A NEW ONE TO ME last visit - on my longtail in from Ao Nam Mao I noticed a few bungalow-like roofs uphill over the rocks to the south of Last Bar on East Railay - that is away from the beach area towards Krabi town. So I walked thru the bar - a path just above high tide level runs around the rocks abt 80m to a set of steps leading up to RAILAY GARDEN VIEW RESORT. This is apparently a fairly new flashpacker joint and gets a good review on Trip Advisor or similar. Unfortunately it started pouring rain when I reached the stairs so I didn't continue on to check the place. Something for you guys wanting somewhere different. If you google this place, don't be confused by a similarly named joint in Ao Nang which looks more upmarket.

The high valley behind East Railay has Railay Cabana which is not too expensive and Phurit Valley Resort (the old Highland) still has some cheapish bungalows.

The cheapest in the area are on adjacent Ton Sai, particularly on the side track that goes right off the loop track leading up from beach central - right up the top are some very good value joints. You can actually reach this area from the high valley East Railay area by continuing on the track that goes up over the saddle between the two beaches. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes, but a bit steep with big packs!

#2 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 19:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap places to stay for single traveller in Railay and Ko Lanta ... By madSEM on 19 Jan 2010 3 5074 20 Jan 2010
Krabi/Railay Beach Stay? ... By Summer89 on 10 May 2011 1 4039 10 May 2011
Extended stay in Railay/Krabi - advice ... By Lachmantf on 24 Sep 2012 3 2063 12 Oct 2012
Budget places to stay in Chiang Mai? ... By brickroadcafe on 4 Dec 2008 0 2842 4 Dec 2008
Railay/Ton Sai/Krabi changes ... By tezza on 15 Dec 2008 3 3938 18 Dec 2008
Thailand - Railay Beach; Nearby Places to Visit?!? Advice Appreciated. ... By elocinoop on 29 Oct 2011 1 1213 29 Oct 2011
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3491 17 Nov 2010
Ao Nang or Krabi or Railay ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 4 8434 27 Mar 2014
Railay Beach/Krabi ... By cameoalexa on 13 Nov 2012 3 2252 19 Nov 2012
Budget Railay Beach guesthouse?? ... By jenniemcmartin on 20 Dec 2008 1 9867 22 Dec 2008