Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chill place near Bangkokg to hunker down with a toddler for a few days in April?

• daphnehk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2010

For complicated reasons I find myself likely to be in the vicinity of Bangkok for a couple of days in April, seven months pregnant, toddler in tow, and with my husband not around. Short of fleeing directly to a beach, can anyone recommend the best place to sit this out and have a good time - maybe train to Kanchanaburi? Or is it just too sweltering for that to be fun?

#1 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 02:03

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Maybe a/c minivan might be better rather than train.Not sure of your budget but I stayed at the River Kwai Bridge Resort last march.Bonus here is it has a nice size pool with a/c rooms right on the river. Could be just what you need. Also easy to get a tuk tuk to the night market for some good food.Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 05:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi daphne,

well, it should definitely be HOT anywhere near bangkok that time of year. what about just grabbing a nice aircon room in bangkok in a hotel with a pool and a good restaurant and relaxing? one thing that would definitely influence my decision is the exact dates you'll be there too. the songkran holiday is typically 13-15 april, but because it falls mid-week this year, it could extend from friday night on april 9th all the way until sunday the 18th. that will make getting in and out of bangkok much more difficult during those dates, particularly while 7 months pregnant and with a todler in tow.

how many days is it and what kind of things do you like to do anyway? cheers.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 05:01

• daphnehk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2010

Yikes! I didn't realize how big a deal Songkran was - thanks for the tip (I've now researched a bit). We will be coming up from Ko Lanta on the 9th and flying out of BKK on the 13th, so we could either stay in Bangkok proper or head straight to somewhere in easy striking distance.

As to what I like... I used to like backpacking in remote parts of SE Asia, but that's not this trip obviously. I like eating Thai food! (Especially from street vendors... will have to figure out how that works with the whole pregnancy thing.) I'm willing to splash out on nice accommodations given the circumstances. Since I'll have the toddler I imagine a laid back schedule of one or two temples, ruins, museums, zoos, hikes, or other similar destinations per day. I was imagining that a location with low-key parks or public areas in walking distance of the hotel (i.e. not dense and urban) for the 21-month-old to run around would be best, but maybe the heat will make her want to be indoors anyway.

Thanks so much for the tips!

#4 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 06:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to chill during day and party at night? ... By Scoe on 5 Sep 2006 0 1172 5 Sep 2006