Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thung Wua Laem Beach at Chumphon

Posted by woodyuk on 1/3/2010 at 16:32

Hi

We will be in Thailand next week and are looking at staying at Thung Wua Laem Beach at Chumphon for a couple of days before heading over to Koh Tao.

Can anyone recommend some good accommodation at Thung Wua Laem Beach. We are looking for Bungalow resorts if they exist.

Also does anyone know how easy is it is to get to Thung Wua Laem Beach from chumphon Train Station.

Thanks for any info...

#1 woodyuk has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by woodyuk on 2/3/2010 at 15:34

Bump :-)

#2 woodyuk has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by fondo on 2/3/2010 at 20:14

OK ... you want an answer.

I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure I saw a sawngthaew when I was out there. To get to the road to the beach you would walk straight out from the station to the next big intersection - not far. Otherwise there's taxis. It's about 16km.

There's a few places out there. The beach looked nice but Lady Fondo got mercilessly attacked by sandflies.

#3 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 170
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by fondo on 5/3/2010 at 05:56

Bump.

Don't worry about it ... it's a pleasure.

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 170
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/3/2010 at 23:20

I went to Hat Thung Wua Laen for a day but didn't stay overnight so can't name any bungalows. But I did stay on Sairee Beach (aka "Had Sai Ri") about 20km out of Chumphon town, at a place called Nong Mai Sai Resort (น้องใหม่ ทรายรีสอร์ท sorry no English sign but the local taxi/tuktuk guys all know where it is) See pic on my Flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/4408281765/in/set-72157621919706647 Click the next picture to see the bungalow - 900 baht for very clean nearly beachfront unit plus big restaurant with excellent seafood. The Lomprayah high-speed ferry pier is just a bit further down so it could be convenient for Ko Tao.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by mikethediver on 10/3/2010 at 04:33

Hi,
Thung Wua Laem Beach is great!!!!!!!!!
Not sure of the exact route from the train station, but you need to get to the market which is not that far from the train station, in fact I think you can walk it, and get the yellow songthaw (different colours go to different places - simple but effective (if you know it!)) If you need to give directions from the train station ask for the 'Yellow sangthaws'.

Once there, there are many bungalows cant remember the name of the one we stayed at but he bungalows are on the left and the beach is on the right!
When you want to leave, your resort will need to phone for the songthaw as they don't normally drive the beach road but bypass it by a few 100 yards.
No jet skis, no loud music, no girly bars, no beach umbrellas - a lot of locals at the weekend, a great place!
Mike

#6 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.