Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi - Pukhet area...last minute tips needed please!

• ELE1

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

Hi All!
    I am almost there..on March 12 I will leave to Thailand, I can't wait!

I already booked flights with Air Asia and I will arrive on March 14 to Krabi airport and fly back to BKK from Phuket airport on March 20.

I have 6 days for this area and I am so confused on what to see and where to stay!

In particular, I would like to now:

- should I stay always in the same place or should I hop from an island to another? Not sure how far are the places from each other and if it's feasible to do day trips...

- what are the "must see /do" things I should not miss in the area?

Thanks everyone!
    Ele

#1 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 22:00

• Advertisement

• alebanane

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

6 days isnĀ“t that much, try Aonang 2-3 nights and go on some boat trips or djungeltreck then take a buss to karon or kata beach or even to khaolak for the rest of the days.
    Have fun

#2 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 20:07

• kaercher

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2009

I've stayed 3 nights in Ao Nang.
    On the first day I took a fast boat (40 min) to Phi Phi Islands (one day tour). If I could I would have stayed longer in Phi Phi (2 or 3 nights).Phi Phi Leh is really nice.
    Second day went on a sailing trip to Hong Island (the lagoon inside the island is a "must see", where you can do snorkeling).On the way back stoped at Prah Nang Beach.
    Good luck.

#3 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 00:15

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

dont waste your 6 days in ao nang.

go to railay/phra nang(just round the corner from ao nang) or phi phi or even phuket,much nicer places with more things to see and/or do :)

particulary if you like nice beaches railay/phra nang and phi phi or for both nightlife and beaches phuket as its sucha large island so many places to choose from whilst there.

chohkdee ;)

#4 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 02:57

• gingermark

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2009

I adored an island called Koh Jum - and if you are in a budget you can stay in simple bungalows at Bo Daeng for 150B a night - not sure there is anywhere else that cheap on the Andaman coast, and the owners are lovely. It's a pretty island and the beach was reasonable (and empty back in November) and I ended up staying 10 nights there, just reading and relaxing. Then again, if budget is not such an issue Phi Phi is supposed to be stunning...

If you are looking for something other than beaches, Khao Sok National Park is not too far away from Krabi / Phuket . From Krabi it's easy to get to by tourist mini-van (to get there by regular bus you have to change buses in Phuket, but if you are in Phuket anyways a regular bus would probably do).

That said, again, 6 days is not that long, so maybe best stay in just one place, just make sure it's a good 'un!

#5 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 09:47

• riffraf

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010

Three places that fit nicely with your flights, if you like : Krabi Town, Railay and Koh Yao Noi (which is a beautiful, quiet island located between Railay and Phuket ).

Krabi Town is a lovely little town and nice for a night -- or even more, but with six days I think one night is all you can afford. Visit the night market or have dinner on the river. There are lots of nice, affordable places to stay, even some decent value along the river. Then wake up early, head over the pier and catch a morning boat to East Railay.

On East Railay you can walk over to West Railay (about 5 minutes) or Phra Nang Beach (about 8 minutes), which are the nicest beaches on the Railay peninsula. East Railay offers cheaper accommodation than West Railay. Or you can walk (20 minutes via jungle trail from East Railay, or 10 minutes at low tide from West Railay) to Tonsai for the cheapest digs. Best things to do around here: rock climbing, watching people rock climb, sitting on the beach, a snorkeling on a half-day trip, sea kayaking, scrambling up to the viewpoint, watching fireshows at night.

After a day or two, get up early and head to Ao Nang. It's not the nicest place you'll see on your trip. Immediately get transport to Thalane Pier and catch a boat to Koh Yao Noi.

Koh Yao Noi is an island made up of seven villages, where the main industries are rubber tapping and fishing. Not much to do but rent a moto or bicycle from your guesthouse, then ride around and say hello to people while you experience traditional Thai village life. The largest village has the island's only 7-11. Stay a few nights and enjoy. One thing about Koh Yao Noi though, there's only one beach that's nice at low tide. The charms of the people and the rest of the place more than make up for that, though. I spent about six days here last November, staying at Santisook run by Mr E, and I'll definitely be back.

When it's time to leave Koh Yao Noi, catch a boat to Phuket and head straight to the airport.

Hmmm. It's all a bit whirlwind, maybe.

To recap...

Krabi Town: small town with big heart, great street-market food.

Railay (West, East and including Tonsai): beautiful beaches, fireshows, stunning karsts, bohemians.

Koh Yao Noi: very friendly people, very quiet villages, very few tourists.

Maybe check out the places I've mentioned here and get more info online, if any of it seems right for you.

#6 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 12:53

• ELE1

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

Wow! so many great suggestions! Thanks a lot everyone! I can't wait to leave!

#7 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 16:20

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a great believer in hopping quickly from one place to the next and the people above have made some good suggestions re Ko Jum, Yao Noi - plus I also like Lanta, Yao Yai and the laid back east coast of Phi Phi as quick to reach places out of Krabi.

But with only 6 days I reckon the idea of 3 nights on Ao Nang doing daytrips to Phi Phi, Hong Islands, the 5 island snorkelling trips etc followed by a 10 minute jump over for another 3 nights on Raily or Ton Sai just laying back, swimming, sunning and checking the landscape might be the go. Finding a vacancy on Railay might be the trick.

#8 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 12:32

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

yeah you would do well to listen to tezza :)

he knows his stuff and is eternally helpful.

#9 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 20:38

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If your budget is not too limited and it's just for six days I would splurge a little, go to West Railay (short boat ride from Ao Nang which is the nearest road access) and stay somewhere like Sand Sea Resort http://www.krabisandsea.com for a few days. Then get a boat to Ko Phi Phi and stay somewhere on Haad Yao (Long Beach) or the far end of Ao Lo Dalam (See map on http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/southern_thailand/krabi/ko_phi_phi/57 ). Then get a boat to Phuket for a night and fly back.

#10 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 21:25

• Advertisement

• ELE1

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

Thanks a lot for your great tips! I think we will spend a couple of nights in railay and then head to Phi Phi and stay there before going to Pukhet for flying back to BKK.
    In the week of March 15, do you think we will have problems finding accomodations in these places?
    Thanks!!

#11 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 22:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tips? Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai, Northern Thailand, Ko Chang area, Khao Yai, Krabi & islands ... By sophiepops on 28 Sep 2014 10 741 30 Sep 2014
Last minute advice for trip needed ... By travelinchen on 19 Jul 2011 14 2922 23 Jul 2011
Krabi area hotels ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 3 801 28 Nov 2011
4 days in Krabi area ... By PurpleAlliums on 29 May 2011 1 2028 30 May 2011
Forest Resort at Ton Sai - Krabi Area ... By tezza on 31 Mar 2007 1 8027 29 Apr 2009
Koh Chang or Krabi/Lanta area?? ... By dnev101 on 4 Jan 2013 8 5209 6 Jan 2013