Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai Trekking - Where to book?

• TravellingS-
    cot

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Whats the best way to organise yourself a trek? In Bangkok at the moment and have been told that these cannot be organised in Chiang Mai - I personally have taken this with a massive pinch of salt.

Any help would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 18:16

• Advertisement

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

It can definitely be organized in Chiang Mai. If you book it in Bangkok it is going to cost you more because it includes the referral's fee for the booking agent in Bangkok.

I would recommend to book it once in Chiang Mai. Visit the travel agent's offices and see how you feel about it. Important things to consider are which are you are going, what is included, how many people are going, how they are going to transfer you from point A to point B. I don't remember exactly with which company I booked it, but it was a 3 day/2 night, all meals included, transportation from and to hotel, elephant ride, orchid farm, one night with a hill tribe, the other night in a cottage in front of the river downhill, water and bamboo "rafting", and it cost me 1,400 baht, but this was about 8 months ago.

#2 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 18:27

• TravellingS-
    cot

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Thanks awfly for the info. Seeing as how figures of 6000+ Baht were being floated about I think I'll wait.

Were told that permission to enter the national park was required and had to be done in Bangkok. Sales chat probaly.

We are a party of three gents in their mid 20's probably looking to do a trek middle of next week if anyone else wants to get involved.

#3 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 18:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

They're talking complete bollocks that you cannot book in Chiang Mai. Just another way to skim extra money off the top. Absolutely every travel agency and guesthouse up here offers group-based (6-12pax)trekking at around 1500 baht for 3 days 2 nights including the usual activities (elephant ride bamboo raft etc) seven meals, small backpack, pickup and dropoff and big bag storage while you trek. You'll also find most guesthouses will keep a room for you on return if you book trekking with them. Me too!

#4 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 15:05

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

May be too late to be helpful, but we had a great time last winter going with Pooh Eco Trekking.

Pooh Eco-Trekking
    59 Rajchapakinai Rd, Chiang Mai, 50200
    Tel: (053)208-538 Mobile: (085)0414-971
    E-mail: remimin@loxinfo.co.th

The price is steeper than other treks - but we went with only the two of us. As well, the trek and the people we stayed with were incredible. We left no trash, brought lots of our own food in, and ate some rats and things the locals caught (tarantula egg sack is not fantastic like they say). We would totally go on another trek with them.

#5 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 09:12

• TravellingS-
    cot

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Just a Thank You for the advice. Ended up booking a tour in Chang Mai for 1200 Baht and had a great time. Stayed at the Jumbo Elephant Camp rather than a village. Food and hosts spot on.

#6 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 19:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How do I book a trekking guide? ... By brittanytyler on 5 Nov 2007 1 2200 5 Nov 2007