Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time traveller to Thailand needs an idea of a schedule?? any suggestions do's and dont's

• Maggiemoo

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2010

Hi,

I am getting married next year (no date planned as I want to plan it around our honey moon to Thailand!) I have read and read and read so much into it that my head hurts what I have in mind is Chiang Mai (needing to know if I have to fly into Bangkok first?) wanting to see a few sights in chiang mai but only a days worth, then onto do a trek from Ching Rai maybe? I want to do a trek where we get to see the long neck people and villages, the golden triangle and elephant trekking, but I want to add that on the trek I want it to be a mind blowing once in a life time experience so it must be the right one and I dont mind if its more than a days trek that provides overnight stay so any suggestions on where to find a tour operator that will be right please? from the trek I want to go to one of the islands I like the sound of Koh Lanta but open to any suggestions and not sure the best way to get from Chiang Mai to the island? and really hoping for a trip to Cambodia but not sure in which order would work out best for the least travelling time and so it all fits toghether so if any one can please help as I really am a Thailand virgin and do not know where to begin!! oh one last thing when is the best time to go considering we want the best of both worlds the weather for the trekking not at boiling point or muddy! and the beach part to be nice and warm?? thankyou to anyone who can help :)

#1 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 00:55

• Advertisement

• ceedee1

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010

never been to chang mai but i do know that they have an airport there,not sure if its international or not though? so you may have to do a bit of digging to find out.

cant comment on the chang rai trek either as in all my visits to thailand ive only visted central/easteran/southern/gulf/amdaman areas of thailand.

as for travelling to ko lanta i think best bet would be a flight to either krabi or phuket,there quite frequent and reasonably priced so gettin there should be no problem.then bost to ko lanta from either of these places,check out tigerline travel for boat info http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/index.php?cat=lineboat&new_language=1

(although i do find there website quite overwhelming/confusing) is it just me? :D

ive been ko lanta once last mid-april for 5 days and enjoyed it very much,stayed on long beach (pra ae) at lanta palm beach resort,lovely accommodation and staff, right on the beach,clean tidy spacious rooms with air con/fan and hot water shower,cost me 700 baht per night and worth every penny imo.

btw for me the beach was one of the best ive ever been on,clean,uncrowded and good deep water at all tides ideal for swimming and lazing in the sun during the day.of which there was plenty,5 days of clear blue skies,uninterupted sunshine whcih is quitye lucky for mid april on the andaman coast from waht i can make out,because i soon as i travelled a few miles up the coast to phuket i got showers everyday.

not a great deal to do at night but enough bars and restaurants to keep you happy,espec\ially if your travelling as a couple.

quite a large island so plenty of areas/beaches to travel around and visit during the day.

if i have time i may pop back there this april for a few nigts,all depends how long/how much i like the trang/satun/krabi islands,ko kradan,ko lipe,railay and posibbly some of the others islands in the area all depending on timescale.

anyway have fun and sorry i could'nt be much more help.

try lonelyplanet/thorntree or try checking tezzas blog (google it) a masss of info on there.

chohkdee ;)

#2 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 02:50

• Maggiemoo

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2010

Thats a great help thanks as you have put my mind at rest about Koh Lanta as I was torn about where to go for the second part of our holiday, and yeah we are going as a couple so Koh Lanta sounds exactly what we will be looking for, I looked into railay but read bad things so you will have to let me know what its like, also is phi phi as bad as what they say it is?

Only the first half to plan now!!

Thanks again

Michelle. :)

#3 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 04:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry, didn't realise you double posted this. I replied on the other thread, which is now deleted.

Hi Maggiemoo,

Congrats on the upcoming big day!

A couple of starters:
    The "long necks" are primarily visited out of Mae Hong Son which is to the west of Chiang Mai (and so opposite direction to Chiang Rai and the golden triangle).

For a primer on trekking in Thailand, see this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/18
    For spots to trek from other than Chiang Mai, see this story: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/138

Basically the success of the trek depends a lot on the group you are with and the guide. Most of the guides are freelance and so work for many operators -- making recommendations very difficult.

Island recommendation really depends on when you are going as different islands are affected by monsoons at different times of year.

From Chiang Mai to the islands, you will need to transit via Bangkok, so bus/train/plane to Bangkok and then onwards will depend on the island.

Hope that helps.

#4 Posted: 6/3/2010 - 14:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Suggestions on where to go for a first time longhaul traveller.... ... By samanthas2goode on 12 May 2006 16 3562 1 Jun 2006
Lone female traveller - Dont know where to start! ... By charliescott86 on 23 Jul 2008 3 3702 5 Sep 2008
Trip Schedule...any suggestions on islands? ... By kolibri2322 on 7 Oct 2006 4 1892 11 Oct 2006
Panicing we dont have enough time! ... By malibu828 on 29 Jul 2008 2 1919 31 Jul 2008
First time traveller, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia Jul/Aug 09 ... By sidewinder on 19 May 2009 4 3346 18 Jun 2009
suggestions for 1st time travelers to Thailand? ... By pzimmie on 16 Aug 2008 4 1925 18 Aug 2008
first time in Thailand, November~ ideas, suggestions? ... By pamjane on 21 Jun 2009 12 3469 23 Jun 2009
Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :) ... By rubyforanparkin on 15 Jul 2012 11 3578 22 Jul 2012
Frist time!! No idea!! ... By Emma23 on 29 May 2013 9 1933 3 Jun 2013