Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Special Day in Bangkok

• mellimoon

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2007

Hi, i'm going to be in Bangkok on my boyfriends 30th birthday, i need to sort out 3 things to make the day memorable.

1. Accommodation.
    2. Activities.
    3. Evening Meal.

I don't mind spending decent money, this will be after a month around Vietnam, so a day of luxury will be worth it. The birthday in april 7th - a Sunday i think.

We've been to Bangkok before and done the obvious touristy stuff, maybe doing something a bit off the wall would be good.

For a hotel, somewhere with a 50inch plasma tv isn't necessarily what i'm after, somewhere with unique character would be great.

The meal is very important, we like any food, i want it to be something memorable.

ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 06:18

• Advertisement

• stevehoward-

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2010

Hi Mellimoon,

For accomodation that's a bit swanky try one of the suites in Montien Riverside hotel, 180 deg panoramic windows over the river. Been a while since I stayed there, was on promotion for 7,000 baht night.
    For a little less but still very nice try Presidents Park suites just off Sukhumvit (soi 24). Very nice spacious rooms and a nice place with good facilities.

For fine dining you won't go wrong if you head to "The Good View" right on the river. The food is excellent, a very nice setting and attentive staff.

I'm stopping over in BKK on 13th March and My choice will be presidents park and a nice evening of seafood at TGV.

The Montien Riverside site is down at the moment but any of the room booking sites will give you an idea about the place.

www.goodviewrestaurant.com
    http://www.presidentpark.com/

good Luck,

Steve.

#2 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 06:56

• tinoh

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Hi,

For the evening meal I have one recomandation. I gave my GF a diner cruise for het birthday and that was a great experience. The food was perfect and the cruise is very nice. We did the http://www.manohracruises.com/

Greetings Tino

#3 Posted: 8/3/2010 - 15:39

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

If it looks like an ad, sounds like and ad,..guess what, it's an ad.....lol

#4 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 06:58

• tinoh

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

@Sparta: Guess again....This was not an ad. We really did the cruise last year and we really did like it.

#5 Posted: 9/3/2010 - 13:40

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Tinoh, in that case I apologise :)

#6 Posted: 10/3/2010 - 01:24

• mojopac

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

I've had lunch at the Mandarin Oriental a few times at the Verandah, very nice. But the hotel itself is stunning. Fabulous! It has another 3 restaurants, Seafood, (Lord Jims) Normandie (very chic) and Chinese as well as Thai across the River.I'll be there in May and intend to stay for 4 nights, expensive but absolutely a "Special" occasion hotelCheck their website, afternoon tea is a must

#7 Posted: 10/3/2010 - 05:51

• mojopac

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

Re. Special occasion in Bangkok.
    I should also mention that after that special dinner, the cream is the Bamboo Bar in the Oriental, full of atmosphere with well known jazz singers, mostly from the US. It's the sort of lounge bar where you would expect to see Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall stroll in and suck on a martini...great decor, music and drinks. This exactly what I'll be doing in May.

#8 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 05:36

• mojopac

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

Re. Special occasion in Bangkok.
    I should also mention that after that special dinner, the cream is the Bamboo Bar in the Oriental, full of atmosphere with well known jazz singers, mostly from the US. It's the sort of lounge bar where you would expect to see Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall stroll in and suck on a martini...great decor, music and drinks. This exactly what I'll be doing in May.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 05:37

• MikeV

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2005

Banyan Tree is really nice to stay at.
    The Vertigo bar & restaurant on the roof is nice too for a drink or a meal.

The Sirocco bar & Restaurant on the top of the State Tower is also nice for a drink or a meal.

The view from either of these places is stunning, especially at night.

#10 Posted: 15/3/2010 - 10:57

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A special place to buy special gifts & home decors from Vietnam ... By tdboutique on 5 Jul 2012 0 1181 5 Jul 2012