Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand/SE Asia in April

• spearx

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Hey all,

I feel like I made a mistake and booked a trip to Bangkok from April 6 to May 6. After doing some research, I see that SE Asia can be brutally hot during this period. Not only this, some of the areas in Northern Thailand aren't as beautiful as they are during other seasons.

My wife and I have the time to travel pretty much anywhere in SE Asia from Bangkok. We love the outdoors and the experience of natural beauty and culture. Any suggestions on where to go to avoid the heat? i.e. Northern Vietnam? I realize that we won't be able to avoid the heat all together, but some suggestions of the cooler places would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to go somewhere in which April is the best time to travel instead of the worst.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 04:16

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi Spearx,

You'll probably be able to get some cheap flights from BKK to Hanoi. I was there in April last year and it got pretty chilly - jumper-wearing chilly, even in the daytime but not unpleasantly so! It might be a good time to visit Halong Bay & Sapa. We did & loved it except it was slightly foggy. I went back to Northern Thailand in early May, the weather was warmer but the smoke had prettymuch cleared - the scenery was stunning! I'm sure exact season dates must vary sensibly from year to year so I hope you're not disappointed but this was my experience.

Have a great trip!
    FSH

#2 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 07:09

• spearx

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Thanks FSH. I think Hanoi looks like a solid option. I also like the idea of ending my trip in Northern Thailand when the smoke may be clearer.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 08:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I would tend to stay nearer the sea during this time, as up north in the interior can indeed be quite hot and the vegetation tends to be fairly brown and dried-up. However, all it takes is a couple good rains (usually around mid-April) to take the edge off the heat and bring back some new greenness. Nearer the coast you have sea breezes and although it's still hot it's significantly less so than the interior. It's actually a pretty good time to visit southern Thailand, especially the Gulf Islands of Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao which has more of its dry season then, and it's one of the quieter tourism periods for the entire region. The exception being Thai New Year or "Songkran" on and around April 13-15 when things get a bit crazy. Oh and northern Vietnam I agree would be a good pick.

#4 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 23:00

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

The way I see it, hot weather is just part of travelling in a tropical country :).

April is not that bad a time to be in the region; less people, some rain but not too much. As for the temperatures, yeah, it will be hot, but even then I've never found Thailand unbearably like the way it gets, e.g., in the Middle East or parts of India. I agree with the advice of visiting Southern Thailand, and if the air is still too dry for your liking, head further south to Malaysia for example. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure you'll still have a good time.

#5 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 00:25

• spearx

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don't want to sound like I'm adverse to hot weather. It's just not often I get to travel like this and want to make the most of it. It seems there are so many great places to visit in SE Asia and want to take advantage of the fact that I'll be there in April instead of letting it be a detriment. You can't visit every country/city in 1 month, so I'd love to just hit the places that make the most sense for the season. My wife and I will have fun either way.

As far as Northern Thailand goes, I guess I'll just keep my plans flexible and watch the weather. I definitely plan on Southern Thailand and Halong Bay at this point. We'll see where it goes from there. How is Ankor Wat during this period?

#6 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 02:32

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

April is the hottest month for Siem Reap, but on the other hand it is among the months with the least tourists. It's certainly not as green and lush as in July-October, but there will probably already be some rain, so it's not as parched as in March.

#7 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 02:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.