Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Backpacker tips in Thailand?

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Hi everyone!
    I am a 21 year old female hitting Thailand for four weeks in 1th of June.
    And i'm travelling solo! I am so excited!!
    I dont have anything planed yet, I still have a open mind about it. So far..
    My flight is from Oslo- phuket. After that I'm going to Copenhagen, Roskildefestival.

I really want to explore as much as possible in my stay in Thailand. I also want to get to know other backpackers on my trip.
    Do you guys have any recommendation regarding places I must go, things I should explore and do,
    and also, places backpackers especially stays.
    If you have any tips regarding travelling in Thailand at all, just shoot!

Thank you,
    Marielle

#1 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 05:09

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Read about Thailand on this site. Buy a Lonely Planet guide that has all the details of the famous locations and maps and bus train details. Get and idea of where and what you really want to see. There are backpackers everywhere you go. Get and idea of what you really like from reading and start to plan around it. Then we can easily help you sort out the details.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 05:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Very good advice from Thomas there. I would add one thing - kind of a repeated theme of mine - but you mentioned you would like to meet other backpackers as you go. If it were me, I would be more interested in meeting and socializing with indigenous persons as I went.

#3 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 11:23

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thank you for your advice!
    I just bought a lonely planet book.
    :)

#4 Posted: 6/4/2011 - 23:38

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

Just don't use your LP as a bible. Especially when it comes to pricing.

And if your trying to meet other backpacker I would recommend Ko Phi Phi. This island is basically one giant playground for foreigners. Good nightlife and some decent beaches. Just don't expect any cultural enlightenment.

#5 Posted: 7/4/2011 - 13:47

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Make sure you get the regular one. The Lp guides that say "Discover" on the front are not the info packed guides. They are full of pretty pics. If you are going to hang out mainly with "partypackers" then Khao sarn rd. is your starting point.

#6 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 03:45

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thank you for y'r tips. Yes, i noticed that! I have to go back and change it.
    No, i don't just want to hang with 'partypackers'. I want to meet all kind of people on my way :)

#7 Posted: 8/4/2011 - 22:13

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

June is coming quick so you need to get to work! Start with Bangkok..it is a good idea to stay a couple of days when you arrive. There are a couple of main areas that are easy to meet people. Khao Sarn or (San) rd is a popular destination for young people and solo travelers. Sukhumvit rd area is closer to the trains and getting around. An energetic young thing like yourself may enjoy Khao Sarn rd. Look it up. From Bangkok it is very common to travel north to some place like Chiang Mai . Look at the Thailand map. Ayutthaya is a famous place in the middle kind of..you may like the old temples and such. Chiang Mai is north of here. Research these two places. For a month stay you can see a lot but most beginners do some north and some south.
    Start by looking at those places and let ideas form in your head. The south is the beach destination and you have to make a few decisions for the south. Get familiar with what I told you a little and it will start falling into place. Check back with us in a few days or more and go from there.

#8 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 03:41

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Now it's just 6 days ti'll i'm leaving!!
    This in my plan so far: volunteer work for 1 week in phuket, then i'm off to island jumping here and there. And I have to visit Bangkok.
    Excited!!

#9 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 03:59

• lilyrose

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

If you have time definitely go to Pai... it's so chilled and relaxed, stay at happy guesthouse the owner is amazing and will pick you up from the bus stop and constantly offer you lifts if you want to go anywhere. One of my favourite places in Thailand, a good place to visit towards the end of your trip. Only bad points is the journey there - definitely not one to do with a hangover - can't remember how many road bends there are, and the stray dogs are a bit scary but the guesthouse owners look after you so well and tell you where not to walk. Have fun!

#10 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 05:03

• Advertisement

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

So now i'm here. I though I was going to do the volenteer work in phuket, but i was wrong.
    Now i 'm in Khao Lak. There not so mutch to do here..
    Does anybody have tips 'things to do in khao lak' ? How far is it from khalo lak to phuket?
    And my final question, is it any place in thailand now, that dosent rain that mutch?

#11 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 13:11

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

the other side..the gulf side is sunnier at the moment.

http://samui-weather.blogspot.com/

#12 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 23:42

• mroku

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2011

khao lak is about 100km away from Phuket , but don't expect it to be much different because it's low season now. for some people it's the point going there now...if you are so close to Phuket and still don't know where it is, maybe you start talking to people or at least learn to use "google maps" before going on such a journey?

#13 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 04:25

• Marielle90

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Thank you for your answer thomas922

#14 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 18:50

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

Come to Koh Samui, stay in Chaweng or Lamai, plenty of young backpackers around and very sunny. We get some rain every afternoon but its not Monsoon rain, just tropical pleasant showers. Marielle, PM me if you need any more info. Kseniya

#15 Posted: 14/6/2011 - 11:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.