Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Chief Monkey Calling - Northern Thailand

• julianbroad

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2006

I posted a message sometime ago about Monkey Island Guesthouse in Maesai, Chiangrai province, Thailand. I am the owner and I’d now like to introduce myself and the concept of Monkey Island.

I first came to Thailand some seven years ago and mostly lived in Chiangmai, I have more recently moved up to Maesai (the northern most point in Thailand) on the Thai/Burmese border. Chiangmai was a great place to live, however, the increase in traffic and pollution and my regular visits to the Eastern Shan State (Burma) led to my move. Maesai has a kinder climate than Chiangmai and this was a major factor in me moving here. Originally, I had only planned to come and live here but, within a few days of my arrival I had found myself a fantastic property on the banks of the Maesai river just a few hundred yards from the Maesai/Tachileik bridge.

Before moving to Maesai I had traveled up into the Eastren Shan State (Burma) with my truck eleven times, sometimes going by myself or taking friends from Chiangmai. I had even looked at opening a guesthouse in Keingtong in Burma. However, when I eventually settled in Maesai I realized that there were a few things missing for foreign travelers namely: affordable clean rooms, free wi-fi internet, western food, motorcycle hire and guided tours, tours to Burma, taxi services, book exchange and trekking tours with the Ahka hilltribes. Above all I wanted to create a meeting place for fellow travellers.

During my time in Chiangmai and Maesai I have gathered a great deal of knowledge and experience on traveling in Northern Thailand and more particularly the Eastern Shan State, Burma. In fact, a few months ago the researcher from the Lonley Planet stayed on Monkey Island and I was pleased to be able to update their information on travel in Burma and the local area.

I am meeting many interesting travelers in Maesai everyday which is nice. If anyone would like information before they come to these parts I would be pleased help. My email is info@monkeyisland.biz

Happy Travels!

Julian Broad
    (Chief Monkey)

#1 Posted: 8/1/2007 - 09:12

• Advertisement

• mquagliata

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2007

I recently stayed for several weeks at Monkey Island. I was working in Mae Sai, so I needed a place to live that would be nice to come home to. I think it's the best place in Mae Sai and I tried a couple of other guest houses. The food is good and the atmosphere friendly and compatible. Because it's right on the river, it has a peaceful feeling. Julian is a wonderful host. He's helpflul with advice, information and putting creature comforts at your service. I felt that I was very lucky to have discoverd Monkey Island and Julian and his delightful son, Jerome.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2007 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Calling Uk from Thailand, Cambodia & Laos ... By agp105 on 5 Jul 2010 7 5641 19 Apr 2012