Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Tommy's Garden Little Ko Chang

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Visited March 2011
    I've wanted to stay at Ao Siad/Lek ever since my first visit to neighbouring Ko Phayam when I saw a few people jumping off the ferry into a small boat to access this remote spot. So on my latest visit to Phayam I got the girl in the minimart near the Phayam pier to telephone Tommy's Garden to so I could be picked up mid bay off the ferry. The people at Tommy's mixed the message and thought I was coming in off the ferry from Ranong - fortunately a dude going to Ao Lek Bungalows was on my ferry, so I hooked a lift in the tiny boat other bungalows use to meet the ferry and walked across to Tommy's.

Tommy's Garden is the only place on a small beach 5 minutes walk west of the main Ao Siad/Ao Lek stretch of sand. The restaurant is beachfront with nice views across to Ko Phayam. Food here pretty good, seemed about average price wise for budget bungalows. Friendly quick service.

There are about half a dozen beachside bungalows mainly on the restaurant's western side at 300b when I visited in March '11 and another 4 or 5 250b huts on the hillside behind.
    The beachside jobs are in a reasonable garden setting - the hillside is more natural bushland. Place seems popular, running at about 80% when I visited, which was more shoulder season than high.

I took a 250b hillside bungalow. This was a very basic old-style backpackers' thatch walled bungalow. Bit squeezy for 2 people and their gear, very thin double mattress as against usual king or queen, net not in good repair, squat toilet, no basin, byo toilet paper and towel, no external door lock. Big deck with tree filtered sea views. Paths a bit dodgy with some areas needing a torch at night and one water pipe trip-booby trap. My first thought was this joint didn't hold a candle to my 250b bungalow at Cashew on Ao Yai earlier in the week. Perspective needed - you don't get too many 250b bungalows in the Andaman away from low season these days - and so on that basis Tommy's hillside job was okay. Thing is I didn't move to a better seaside bungalow when I got the chance later.

#1 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 20:11

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Just read thru that report - looks a bit negative. In fact I really enjoyed Tommy's - I reckon it is a perfect off-the-beaten-track place.
    And the largely rainforest trek I did from near there across the western mountain saddle and up the west coast to more popular Ao Yai, then back down the central island track to Tommy's was great.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 19:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NEW OPEN ***JUNGLE GARDEN *** IN BAILAN, KOH CHANG ... By junglegarden on 22 Feb 2010 0 2846 22 Feb 2010
NEW OPEN ***JUNGLE GARDEN *** IN BAILAN, KOH CHANG ... By junglegarden on 22 Feb 2010 6 2159 26 Feb 2010
Siam Garden Bungalows - Thung Chang (Nan Province) Northern Thailand ... By SiamGarden on 20 May 2012 0 1450 20 May 2012