Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Janson (Jamsom) Bungalows Ko Phayam

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Stayed March 2011.
    I'd always like the looks of Janson so I decided to stay there on my latest March 2011 visit to Phayam.
    It is built on the side of a low hill a bit south of mid-beach on Khao Kwai north beach. The rather nicely positioned multi level restaurant has good beach and bay views out to the Burma islands. Restaurant prices higher than average budget bungalow place, bit not ridiculous. Food good. Service quick. Reception staff a bit taciturn but efficient.

The two dozen or so bungalows are positioned in 2 rows to left of the restaurant in an informal garden setting. Interestingly prices are the same as they quoted when I called around in Jan 2008 - 500b front row, 400 second. Bungalows identical - front rowers with tree filtered beach and bay views, second rowers' views bungalow and tree filtered.
    These are superior bungalows - flashpacker standard except for no hot water or aircon. Big, clean, solid, plenty of room for 3 adults incl big king-size (hard) mattress. Excellent fitted mozzie net. Big bathrooms just remodelled, nice tiles, basin, good shower, freckle tickler, western flush toilet and a urinal. I've never seen that in bungalow or other accommodation bathrooms Thai or western before. Paper, towel, soap.
    Plenty of storage incl clothes rack. Big veranda.

The beach in front of Janson is rocky, but there are nice patches of sand for sunning. Water immediately in front is nice for swimming - not too shallow low tide. 30 m each side of the rocky patch is open beach. I reckon this is the nicest beach to stay on the island providing you don't want to rage (and even then there are a couple of small beach bars - but laid back). The beach around Janson does not suffer the low tide blues that Khao Kwai south has.

#1 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi tezza.You mention a couple of bars on that stretch of beach. I only know the Hippy Bar...they occasionally have rather loud parties there (which can be heard right across the bay!) but otherwise it's a very quiet beach. The resorts all serve drinks of course but I can't think of another bar on that beach... maybe I missed it. What's it called?

PS. The resort you stayed at is definitely called Jansom ...with an m!
    http://www.jansom.info/KohPayam.html

#2 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 22:14

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Arjan Pan have a neat little beach bar set up on a rock which is surrounded by water at high tide. It is maybe 100m north of Hippy's Harbour.
    As I said before, dude who wrote Jansom's beachside sign did it with an N. I'm slack - don't read guidebooks or websites before using a place.
    Jansom or Janson - no risk of people going to the wrong place.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 19:52

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah yes, I know where you mean now... Ajarn Pan's is actually an ecology orientated resort with 300B bungalows for rent. The owner makes traditional herbal plant remedies and has a garden teeming with bird life and unusual plants and even wild monkeys from the nearby jungle sometimes pay a visit. It might be a good place to stay if you want to do yoga, meditate, and"commune with nature" but facilities there are very basic.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you meant by "a couple of beach bars". There's only one dedicated bar on that beach AFAIK(the Hippy Bar) but there is quite a good selection of beach bars attached to the resorts. I quite like watching the sun set from the Bliss or the Banana Resort beach bars but there are plenty of others to choose from too.

As I said before, dude who wrote Jansom's beach side sign did it with an N. I'm slack - don't read guidebooks or websites before using a place.

Is that the sign in the link I posted? Seems to me it has an m too and there's a huge sign on the road which says Jansom as well.

I pointed out the spelling mistake in one your multiple posts on TT about Ko Phayam last month and was rather surprised you hadn't bothered to rectify the spelling before posting an accommodation review on TF.

It just looks a bit weird when you review somewhere but don't give people the correct name (except as an alternative spelling)... but up to you!

There are now two Jansom Bungalow resorts on Ko Phayam BTW. The new one isn't as nice as the one where you stayed. The bamboo bungalows are a lot more basic and it's on a different beach .... the same stretch of beach as PPland actually.

#4 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 23:37

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Arjan Pan's beachside restaurant LOOKED funky - sounds like the whole place is. Might try to stay there next. I dont do yoga, meditate, and"commune with nature" but I liked the look of the spot.
    Just had a look at that JansoM website - "boutique" resort. Um well, nice place but what does boutique mean? Cute sign - where is it?

I'm a bit annoyed - can change the N to M on my site, except for the maps. It takes a long time to modify Google Earth maps and when I get them how I want I save the image to photos and then wipe the extra info I have inserted off the original map. Not gonna do another one.
    Ah well, JansoN on a map aint a biggy.

New Jansom sounds interesting - it would be north of P Land? Accessed from the Khao Kwai North road? I'll have to add the info to my page, crediting my friend SBE of course!
    Edited by somtam2000

#5 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 18:57

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'll have to add the info to my page

The travel information I post on here belongs to TF, not your site tezza. You do not have my permission to steal it for your own website.

#6 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 19:31

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Please use members member names rather than personal names -- even if they're known. Have edited the above to reflect that.

Also locking this one off - thanks tezza for the addition & sbe for the clarification.

#7 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 20:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Jum and Koh Phayam bungalows ... By jwgacy on 8 Jan 2008 1 3207 8 Dec 2009