Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Kick boxing in Thailand

• Farmer91

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

Hi,

I have decided to go SEA and learn Thai Kickboxing and hopfully do climbing.

I want to stay on a beach at a not too touristy area. Live cheaply in a beach hut and just enjoy another 6 months away from reality.
    I am a preety experienced traveler. Any Tips /advice would be greatly appreceated especially if any one has done something similar.

My budget is going to be $15 -$30 a day. Two of us will be travelling so everything is split.

Cheers
    Farmer

#1 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 08:34

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It will take some hunting around to find what you're looking for. I know a gym in Ubon that actually has a fairly large bunch of expat kids fighting out of it. They make money fighting. But it takes time to learn Muay Thai - just like it takes time to learn to box. So if you want to really learn Muay Thai and fight, you need still more time or you'll get killed, literally. It's a dangerous sport with fatalities almost every month. If you don't want to actually fight, and just want to train a bit and learn, you can do that. But don't climb between the ropes unless you are serious about it. Finding a hut to rent by a beach will be tough unless you really mean a hut, with no running water or bathroom or electricity. At least in the price range you are looking at. Finding an apartment near a beach (say within a kilometer) should be easy. Remember, to find a place near a gym and a beach, means you have to be close to an urban area, as it takes a reasonably large urban area to attract enough fighters to make a gym viable. In Mukdahan we have two gyms, but neither is very good because none of the participants are serious and I wouldn't recommend it.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 11:45

• Farmer91

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

Thanks for your help.

I wasnt planning on fighting until maybe the end of the six months if I am good enough. Yer I was hoping for a actual hut, not worried about power and water, I am a preety easy going guy. I am going to take the fighting very serious and plan to give it my all.

if you do have any more info it will be greatly appreceated, And i didnt realise the amount of fatalities. thats good to know.

#3 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 05:54

• Farmer91

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

Also if any one has any tips for me to get ready for it. like certain mucle groups I should concentrate on before I leave that would be great .

#4 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 06:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I'll poke around and see what else I can find out. I live in Issan, up on the Laos border, so I am poorly positioned to find out much about beach areas I'm afraid.

#5 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 10:28

• Farmer91

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

Cheers,

I wouldn't mind being in a rural area for a little bit just to get into it to begin with as long as its a nice area. and things to do. A buddy is coming with me who wont be boxing so I need to make sure there's stuff for him to do.

Cheers.

#6 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 03:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ubon is a large city and there is lots to do - but it's not a backpackers place. It's not beautiful (though some of the countryside is - there is a fantastic waterfall in the province), no great architecture... decent nightlife. The boys who fight there enjoy it. You can check it out here. Ubon Ratchathani. I live north of there about two plus hours.

#7 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 12:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.