Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Jomtien Beach Review in Pattaya City, Thailand

• tigsybart

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

I really like Jomtien. I wish the other parts of Pattaya were more like it.

Sure, the beach is no Phi Phi but the restaurants and hotels in the area is definitely a more "wholesome" Pattaya. The beach walk is lined with restaurants that are
    more family-friendly, fresh seafood is served, and the restaurants are better suited for families and married couples as opposed to the cheap motels lining the other,
    more saturated beach in Pattaya (Pattaya Beach).

The princess of Thailand has a home in Jomtien. The residential areas in Jomtien (not just beach-side) are quite high-end and several spots makes one think he/she is
    in a first-world country. There are dozens of Thai and Western restaurants that range from steakhouses, Irish pubs and a quaint art cafe called Sketchbook Cafe in
    Jomtien.

I found out about Jomtien from two sites I love about Thailand.
    One of them is about Thailand in general written by an expat who lives in Thailand
    Asia Meets World http://www.AsiaMeetsWorld.com
    and the other one is Pattaya, Thailand - specific (minus the red light
    district. The more wholesome side of Pattaya, Thailand)
    Live in Pattaya http://www.LiveinPattaya.com - That one is ran from Pattaya by a group of expats.

I love coming to Jomtien and go regularly. The place is highly recommended for those who want to explore Pattaya Thailand but is not interested in the sleazy aspect of
    the city and want to steer clear of go-go bars.

#1 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 08:47

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I stayed at Jomtien for a week. It's OK, but the beach really isn't very clean - I did not find it swimmable. Jomtien is not real expensive but not cheap either.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 11:52

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Jomtien is just an extension of Pattaya to me. Go down the road and when you hit the 711 on the right corner past the Jomptien arch. From there the beach is as you described and it is a good way to dip into Pattaya and stay in a hotel away from the madness. But the beach is not so great. just OK. You can relax if it is not a Thai holiday weekend. Then that whole road is packed. If you go south all the way past the police station on your right a couple miles down at that intersection, then it is more relaxing and they set up real restaurant tables on the beach.
    But I would never recommend Jomtien as a destination for a vacation at all. Just a place to be close to Pattaya without staying smack in it. Then rent a moto.
    what is there to explore in Pattaya that can't be done better all over Thailand? (except party.) It is Sin City. Without that it will fail. If you don't want to at least party a little bit..why go to Pattaya or Jomtien? Unless like me you almost have family in Jomtien).

#3 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 06:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Thomas
    My wife doesn't like to party anymore, but she likes to go there because of food. My wife now has international tastes in food, so even though she's Thai, she gets bored eating Thai food every day. So cuisine in Pattaya is actually a draw for her. Most travelfishers want to eat local because they are curious about local cuisine and because they don't want to spend the money eating more expensive western food. But that element does make Pattaya appealing. Also, hotels with private beaches (the five star variety) are nice in Pattaya. Real nice. And cheap for what you are getting.
    Then of course there is the party element. It is the mecca of partying - world-wide, perhaps non-pareil (although I have heard Angels City could give it a run for the money). But as you mentioned, if you are not in party - sex mode, then it's appeal is significantly reduced. I prefer Bangkok because of the dance scene. But that's my somewhat unique desire.

#4 Posted: 26/7/2011 - 10:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lodging Review-The Spot, Kuta Beach, Lombok ... By Wandering_man on 22 Nov 2010 4 4260 6 Jul 2012