Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Crooked and Filthy

• carycary

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My daughter and I recently spent three days on Phi Phi. I had not been there since the month before the tsunami. First off we were uncertain of the exact date we would be on Phi Phi so were unable to get a room prior to getting there. What we found was really disheartening. Every place we went to said they were full and had no room available. Only to have hawkers on the pier trying to sell you rooms to hotels that said there were full. After several trips to the pier and then back to a couple hotels, what I realized is that the hotels are selling large blocks of rooms to scalpers and then the scalpers are bumping up the price and selling them. We were really without options so we stayed at the Phi Phi hotel and paid the higher prices. Although not happy about the situation. Our room was clean and very nice although the smell of raw sewage came up from the drains in the bathroom and made you want to gag. I wound up having to plug them with wet towels just to make it bearable. The other thing that was bad is that there is a water shortage on Phi Phi (due to the over development I have read) and the pool which looked beautiful was filled with salt water. Other than that the Phi Phi hotel was fine. I would suggest you skip this place if you can help it, (although you may get stuck and be in a bind as we were) as staying here sends a message that what they are doing is OK.
    Now as for Phi Phi island itself. Like I said before, I was here the month before the tsunami and yes before it was crowded and wasn't clean and all the other things you have heard, but now I feel the island is destroyed. They have let everyone and anyone build anywhere and anything they want. In a couple years time there wont be an undeveloped square inch on the island. The long boats cover the beaches and the trash everywhere is unimaginable. I love Thailand but they have failed miserably when it comes to restraint and control. Because it appears there is none. After the tsunami they could have stepped back and made an example of what island development could be. They have done the opposite. Everything from rats and cockroaches to piles of trash, raw sewage draining into the once pristine bay. Its very sad. As much as I hate to say it, I will never go back. Its just not good. Travel fish folks, you need to go back and rewrite your review of this island and steer people away. Unless you like insane crowds packed in like sardines and unimaginable filth, try a different island, this one is ruined.

#1 Posted: 29/3/2007 - 19:40

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.