Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Forest Resort at Ton Sai - Krabi Area

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

FOREST RESORT, info@the forest resort.com, is about 200m up the branch track which takes off from the main loop track from the beach on Ton Sai and heads up to the right, eventually going right over the rainforested saddle to the high valley above Railay East. There are a half dozen bungalow outfits on the first 500m up this track. Forest Resort is one of the first out of range of the noise of the generator and nearby late night bar which are low on this track.
    The place has half a dozen front row flashpacker and about 10 backpacker bungalows second and third row, built up a steep, heavily landscaped slope away from the track.
    I picked up a seond rower for 400 baht - a nice traditional style thatched wall and roof bungalow with attached bathroom, in real good condition, clean (one of the few this trip to pass my no smokers’ butts/no ring-pulls under the verandah test) and with good room for two and their gear. The bed was queen sized (double+) with a thin but comfy mattress, fluffy pillows and an excellent mosquito net. Twin lightweight small blankets were supplied as was toilet paper for the bathroom. There were two bins, lots of hooks but no shelves. A broom was provided. The inside light was good for reading, the verandah light less so. Note no electricity from 6am to 5pm and because my bungalow was heavily tree shaded, it was a bit dim inside, particularly in the bathroom. But who spends much time in their bungalow daytime? Well, most people between 6am and 9am when they aint wolfing brekka.
    No hammock for the elevated verandah, no soap, but the biggest omission was NO MIRROR anywhere. Jeez, I hate shaving with one of those crummy tiny hand held mirrors I carry in my bathroom-bag.
    The paths were well lit at night, as was the excellent garden area - giving the place the appearance from the track of a mid-range resort.
    The owner and his wife were helpful and friendly, but note they don’t run a restaurant, although they can do you coffee in the morning. There is a restaurant abt 70m down track belonging to Country Resort, but they didn’t seem interested in serving . 200m down track opposite the junction is a rather “in” coffee shop with lots of cool climbers hanging around sipping lattes and reading magazines, but the service here is also abysmal and some prices way too high. Much better is another 30 m up the loop from the junction, where DREAM VALLEY RESORT has a big restaurant with good food and attractive prices. People who consider themselves pretty good on the fang will love the 120baht all you can eat buffet breakfasts here.
    Note you are about 7 minutes walk from the beach here, slopes gentle to moderate. It takes 15-20 minutes to walk over the saddle and down to East Railay beach, some slopes pretty steep.
    Stayed here 03/07.

#1 Posted: 31/3/2007 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I stayed here recently - January 2009. It's a good budget/flashpacker option, especially if Sai Thong is your first choice and it's full. It's up the hill beyond the generators, so it's relatively quiet, although the very nearby Indian restaurant hums until late evening. Friendly owners. No full restaurant but they offer coffee, breakfast and snacks. When we were there the front row flashpacker bungalows were 700 baht, back two rows 500 baht (both negotiable depending on duration of stay). It's here where I disagree with Tezza -- to my mind, the front row flashpacker bungalows are better value, the bathrooms especially are might nicer, and you have a pleasant view of the jungle.
    IMHO, Sai Thong is a better budget option if you want to stay on Tonsai as cheaply as possible, as it's a bit cheaper, and if you can spare a few extra baht, I highly recommend Countryside's bigger bungalows. But Forest Resort is a great option.

#2 Posted: 29/4/2009 - 09:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4 days in Krabi area ... By PurpleAlliums on 29 May 2011 1 1881 30 May 2011
Krabi area hotels ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 3 692 28 Nov 2011
Koh Chang or Krabi/Lanta area?? ... By dnev101 on 4 Jan 2013 8 3955 6 Jan 2013