Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

sleeping bangkok airport

• bekkie

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2011

I will be arriving in bangkok at 8pm, and have a flight out to laos the following day leaving at 9.30am. Rather than heading into the city I was planning on sleeping in the airport to save wasted travel time and expense. Is there anywhere to sleep within the airport without security moving you on?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 00:01

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The airport has flights all night so there are always people waiting.If you can find yourself enough space you should have no problem on one of the metal benches but it isn't going to be comfortable with constant noise and light.For the sake of 500 baht book yourself a nearby airport hotel with free transfer.There is one or two advertised on this site.

#2 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 00:52

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well I don't know of any 500B hotels with free transport near the airport (could you be more specific sayadian?!)

Sananwan Palace is cheap enough but no free transfers. It's about 20 minutes from the airport by taxi (if the taxi can find it straight away...it's not particularly easy to find this place but getting back to the airport is no problem)

http://bangpli.com

Otherwise you could hop on the airport link train. It only takes about 30 minutes to get into town and the slower train with more stops costs a maximum of 45 baht depending on where you get off. You don't even actually have to go into the centre of Bangkok...might be an idea to see if there are any cheap hotels near the stations along the route.

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/time-table-route.html

With a layover that long I'd definitely try and get out of the airport anyway!

#3 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 03:35

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/queengarden/

I've noticed the price is now approx 650 baht.but if you look at the link you'll see it's free transfers.It's 5 minutes from the airport and although not luxurious is clean, air-conditioned with hot water.There's lots of little restaurants and food stalls nearby and I remember one of the delights was buying a bag of stale bread for 5 baht in the morning and feeding the giant carp in the nearby canal.Got some great shots of a dozen carp leaping out of the water for the bread.
    Booked on the internet, no hassle, very friendly people.

#4 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 07:41

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Ah yes, I've seen Queen's Resort recommended before but never stayed there. Didn't realize they did free transfers! Looks like it would be a very convenient option for the OP even at 650B. Far more pleasant to spend the night there and airport food is always very overpriced so he/she might have to shell out almost as much for sleeping at the airport.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 14:59

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi my vote goes for the Queen Garden will be staying there again late June on the way to Cambodia. Cheap clean with free one way transfer.You have to pay 150 baht for the return transfer from memory. The website will tell. Clean comfortable and close and the food's pretty good. I,m sure you'll feel a lot fresher for your next days travel.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 18:10

• bekkie

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2011

thanks for your help! i like the sound of sleeping in a proper bed rather than in the airport.has anyone tried to YHA near bangkok airport?

#7 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 18:45

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

We booked Queeen's Resort through a link in Travelfish and if you mention this you get both transfers free.In fact I think it actually says on their website that both are free-check it out.
    We thought it was a great place, quiet and extremely friendly.If you book on the internet you print out a voucher-no hassles.Complimentary coffee, tea and water and being 5 minutes from the airport is great after a long flight.
    I was forced to stay 14 hours on the benches of a Middle East airport on one layover-never again!

#8 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 00:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you plan a day or two layover in Bangkok? I am assuming you are flying a considerable distance to get there in the first place. Why the rush?

#9 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 06:21

• bekkie

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2011

I have spent over a week in bangkok on a previous trip. i am heading to laos for volunteer work. i will spend more time in bangkok on my return trip.

#10 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well, I've just taken my own advice and booked for us in the Queen's Garden Resort. Been there before and I highly recommend it.
    The reservation does mention Travelfish so I think by doing it through this site you get the double transfer.

#11 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 10:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.