Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Rabies Vaccination in Thailand

• MarkUnders

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

There is currently a rabies vaccination shortage in UK and I am also put off by £180 price tag for the 3 pre vaccinations.

I have found on a blog that you can get this pre vaccination a lot cheaper in thailand. There is a place in bangkok (snake farm) where you can get this for £12 per vaccination.

My issue is we aren't going to hang around bangkok for 30 days therefore does anyone know of medical centres in koh samui that can follow up this vaccination with the others as we need them? (on day 0,7 and 21 I think)

I know many people don't bother with this pre vaccination but later in our trip we are visiting other countries and most likely rural regions therefore we feel we want the pre vaccination to buy us more time in case of being bitten.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 07:08

• Advertisement

• denzil71

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

My doctors charged £130 for the rabies shots - Seems pricey sure, but I figured 130 vs a painful death is a small price, even if the chance is remote :)

Might want to shop around for it.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 02:36

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I've never got a rabies shot. Stay away from monkeys, stray dogs and save your money :)

#3 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 03:13

• imarif

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Staying away from stray dogs in Thailand is easier said than done :)

#4 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 10:28

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

"VACCINATION AFTER AN EXPOSURE Anyone who has been bitten by an animal, or who otherwise may have been exposed to rabies, should clean the wound and see a doctor immediately. The doctor will determine if they need to be vaccinated.
    A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated against rabies should get four doses of rabies vaccine - one dose right away, and additional doses on the third, seventh and fourteenth days. They should also get another shot called Rabies Immune Globulin at the same time as the first dose.
    A person who has been previously vaccinated should get two doses of rabies vaccine - one right away and another on the third day. Rabies Immune Globulin is not needed."

#5 Posted: 21/12/2012 - 11:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.